1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Non fender P's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcfrankson, Nov 24, 2012.

1. mcfrankson

mcfrankson

Can anyone recommend some high end non-fender P basses? I want a P, but don't want a fender, oddly enough.
  2. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

What's your budget?
  3. mcfrankson

mcfrankson

4. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Lakland Glaub. A very nice P imo.
  5. prd004

prd004

Mike Lull
  6. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Take a look at M Basses. I recently played a P Bass that was very special indeed!
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes

8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I read your post when you initially posted. I'm glad that you were able to build an instrument to meet your needs.

OP - you may look at a G&L SB-1. Or SB-2 if you think you might need/want a bridge pickup. If it's in your budget and want to give multi-scale a go, you could order a Super P from Sheldon (Dingwall)...
  9. TomCHunley

TomCHunley

+1 on the G&L SB-1. I have one and it's an amazing bass for the money.
  10. metalstorm

metalstorm

I scored an Alleva Coppolo Hippie P and I love it. Its really fat and punchy sounding
  11. iiipopes

iiipopes

Thanks.
  12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

If I were going to spend good money on a Fender-type instrument that wasn't a Fender, it'd be a Valenti.
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Non-Fender P-Basses.

USA Lakland Glaub
    Alleva Coppolo P-Bass
    Bluesman Vintage Guitars P-Bass
  14. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Used Sadowsky NYC is the only non Fender P I would ever consider in that price range.
  15. swamp2

swamp2

Why would you want to spend that much on a P-bass? Pretty unnecessary, really... I don't think you'll end up with anything that's really much better than a $699 Fender American Special.

I can see the spend for something set neck or neck through, active electronics, custom made, etc. But a p-bass clone? I don't get it...
  16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

My advice is to check out every P-type you can, completely without prejudice, regardless of pedigree, and pounce on the first once you really fall in love with. I guarantee that you will find one. If $2500 is your ceiling, there will hardly be anything out of reach.
  17. trunkshope6

trunkshope6

Yamaha bb2000!
  18. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

19. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Try a parts build with warmoth parts. Then you can do exotic woods and whatnot. It'll look kinda like a fender and sound like a modified Fender, but will be suited to you. Just get a professional fret level and dress on the neck as well as a bone nut made by a pro.

It should be far under your budget and the learning involved in this kind of build is definitely worth the time and effort.
  20. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

A brand new Mike Lull P bass is around $2300-$2400 with a hardshell case. He basically takes Fender's formula and makes it as good as it gets. In my opinion, he builds the best Fender-inspired Precision and Jazz basses out there. There are other great builders out there who make Fender-inspired basses, but I believe his are closest to the original in looks & sound. His basses and customer service really are world-class. I own a Mike Lull jazz bass, and I'll actually have a brand new Lull P bass arriving in about 2 weeks or so. His build time is usually 3-4 months.

Check out his P basses here...
    http://www.mikelull.com/site/instruments/basses/bass-P4_P5.html