1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Noob Needs Help w/Strings, Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bunky1998, Feb 6, 2014.

1. bunky1998

bunky1998

Help! I'm a bass playing noob in need some advice.

I decided to switch from round wounds to D'Addario half-rounds in hopes of cutting down on string squeak. I removed old E string and found (much to my dismay) that the new E string won't fit through string hole in bridge. It appears old E string is a 100, whereas new E string is a 105.

Ouch.

Is it possible to rout out the string hole to fit new E string? I'm sort of a noob on both cases: playing and working on my bass. I figured I'd ask before I wreak havoc on the instrument and make things worse.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
  3. bunky1998

bunky1998

Thank you so much, I think I can handle this repair seeing that power tools aren't involved.

4. pfox14

pfox14

WOW, we're talking a difference of 5/1000ths of an inch and it won't fit? I find that very hard to believe.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bunky1998

bunky1998

Yeah, crazy but true. The half-rounds will go thru the hole until you get 2" from the end. Then the string gets much fatter.