1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Noob Question to live amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Luke S Mouse, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Disclosures:
    Yes, this douchebag just posted again
    Okay folks, I'm going to be playing my first gig with my bass and drums project in a few weeks and have a question on how I set up my amp. In rehearsal, I typically have my settings dialed pretty well in, with my volume all the way up, (100 watt amp, 50 watt head Acoustic Amp Mini Stack) however I noticed that guitar players cut a hole in the front of the speaker grill and put a microphone in that hole. Is that applicable to bass amp setup?

That's all I was wondering.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    You don't need to cut a hole in your grillcloth to mic an amp! Grillcloth is acoustically transparent, and doesn't affect tone at all.

Anyway, some bassists mic their amps, some bassists use a DI, some do both. All a matter of preference. But if you mic a bass amp, I recommend using a mic that reproduces low frequencies well and has relatively flat response, so stay away from kick drum mics. The AKG P2 is a cheapo that's been getting a lot of love as a bass cab mic on here.

3. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Disclosures:
    Yes, this douchebag just posted again
    Thanks man!
    Now I got an idea of what to do and all. Much better than going in blind.