1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Noob Question: Vintage or New?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by Chaza, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Chaza

Chaza

What is wrong with "state of the art" basses...Specifically a new Fender Jazz Bass versus a 70's or 60's version?

And, is there really a difference in a Mexican, Japanese or American one?

2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Do search, tons of info on the subject....

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Short answer: new fenders are great, most feel they are better than ever, and more consistent. Still, play as many as you can.

Country of origin makes a difference but there is lots of argument as to how much. As usual, there are are diminishing returns for the more expensive models. MIA are nice but quite expensive. And modern Squiers are actually pretty good.

Buy used for best value.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  4. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JiJ

JiJ

I found that really surprising... the first American one sounded the worst, the mexicans bridge pickup with the japanese neck pickup on the american maple/ash would be my favourite...

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

my vintage basses are players basses, therefore they aren't collector items or in perfect condition, played mostly for their sound and smooth action, the issue is buying a new 1500 american fender is all well and good, however that doesn't mean it is going to sound 5x as good as a new 300 dollar bass or 2x as good as a new 750 dollar bass, try a lot of basses both new and used and be realistic about your expectations and if you could see yourself swapping out components or if you just want to get it and play it as is