1. Register your FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Noob Question: Vintage or New?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by Chaza, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Chaza

Chaza

Feb 23, 2014
    What is wrong with "state of the art" basses...Specifically a new Fender Jazz Bass versus a 70's or 60's version?

And, is there really a difference in a Mexican, Japanese or American one?

2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Jul 2, 2012
    Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Do search, tons of info on the subject....

3. Sponsored by:

4. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Short answer: new fenders are great, most feel they are better than ever, and more consistent. Still, play as many as you can.

Country of origin makes a difference but there is lots of argument as to how much. As usual, there are are diminishing returns for the more expensive models. MIA are nice but quite expensive. And modern Squiers are actually pretty good.

Buy used for best value.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  5. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    Disclosures:
    student
  6. JiJ

JiJ

Aug 19, 2014
    Loughborough, UK
    I found that really surprising... the first American one sounded the worst, the mexicans bridge pickup with the japanese neck pickup on the american maple/ash would be my favourite...

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my vintage basses are players basses, therefore they aren't collector items or in perfect condition, played mostly for their sound and smooth action, the issue is buying a new 1500 american fender is all well and good, however that doesn't mean it is going to sound 5x as good as a new 300 dollar bass or 2x as good as a new 750 dollar bass, try a lot of basses both new and used and be realistic about your expectations and if you could see yourself swapping out components or if you just want to get it and play it as is

8. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Disclosures:
    none
    It depends on how much you want to spend. If you are new to the field, buy a squire, it'll last a few years and plays almost as good as vintage. But a good vintage one will set you back quite a few frogskins. Unless you have unlimited funds or a high dollar gig all the time, then go for vintage. It will only increase in value over the years.

9. This is an Arbitrary question really. It's all personal taste. I like new gear, new accurate built equipment that I know wont break, or if it does its new and parts are easily available.

However you will find just as many people who swear by their 30 yr old kit that still serves them well. A lot of it will be what you learn on and what you get used to. You don't know and you cant be told, it's personal.

10. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

The new Fender MIAs are brilliant

The new Fender MIMs are great too, I love em all !

Squiers are great value too.

In the end it comes down to what you can afford.

If you only have $300 buy a new Squier, or used MIM

If you have $600 then a new MIM

I'm not so sure of current US prices as I am in Oz, but you get the idea.

11. Goad

Goad

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    I've pulled 2 Schector Session Riot 4 string basses off the wall at Guitar Center and they both had a very different distinct sound. Let your ear be the judge. If you play something you like and it sounds good, then order the same make/model online you might very well be disappointed. USA, MIM, MIJ etc. has many factors at stake here: Type of electronics used, type of wood used, craftsmanship etc. MIM vs. USA may have the exact same electronics and both could be made in Japan. That's just one example. I owned a squire guitar and sheilded it and swapped out the pickups and it sounded better than my Gibson studio. It could have simply been the lot number of the type of wood they used from a certain part of the world that just so happen to end up in that guitar....

Again, let your ear be the judge!!