1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Noobie on the Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zoop Soup, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Zoop Soup

Zoop Soup

Well, today I went out and got some flatwound strings.

I've had a bass since Christmas and kept the vanilla strings on it, worked pretty well for a while. I started getting a little unsatisfied with the amount of buzz I'd get on the E while I was on other strings. "Half of bass playing is muting" so I've heard but this just didn't feel right. So I did some reading and got a set of Fender Light Steel Flatwounds.

It took me a while to get the first string on (started with G) but after that it was very very easy. I got it all hooked up, and turned on Rocksmith 2014 to tune it (I really need a tuner.) My initial experience with just the plucking to tune was that they were more stout than my old roundwounds. Not unpleasant, but enough to notice.

I also picked up on the brightness of the higher tones being less pronounced than the old RWs but the all the notes across the strings had a more bumping sound. More "bassey" and rounded out (ironic) than the rounds, and that was a sound I really enjoyed. I played some songs on the game and felt very very good about purchasing these strings.

I'm aiming towards more of a funk/jazz style of playing and I've heard these work well for that sort of genre so I'm glad I tried these amazing strings out. I highly, HIGHLY recommend these strings to anyone, specifically noobs like myself looking for a more "bassey" bass.