Noobie on the Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zoop Soup, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Zoop Soup

Zoop Soup

Well, today I went out and got some flatwound strings.

I've had a bass since Christmas and kept the vanilla strings on it, worked pretty well for a while. I started getting a little unsatisfied with the amount of buzz I'd get on the E while I was on other strings. "Half of bass playing is muting" so I've heard but this just didn't feel right. So I did some reading and got a set of Fender Light Steel Flatwounds.

It took me a while to get the first string on (started with G) but after that it was very very easy. I got it all hooked up, and turned on Rocksmith 2014 to tune it (I really need a tuner.) My initial experience with just the plucking to tune was that they were more stout than my old roundwounds. Not unpleasant, but enough to notice.

I also picked up on the brightness of the higher tones being less pronounced than the old RWs but the all the notes across the strings had a more bumping sound. More "bassey" and rounded out (ironic) than the rounds, and that was a sound I really enjoyed. I played some songs on the game and felt very very good about purchasing these strings.

I'm aiming towards more of a funk/jazz style of playing and I've heard these work well for that sort of genre so I'm glad I tried these amazing strings out. I highly, HIGHLY recommend these strings to anyone, specifically noobs like myself looking for a more "bassey" bass.