Noobie Question #3425 - To Stand or to Sit

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Bin Son of Bin, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Bin Son of Bin

Bin Son of Bin

So I keep having questions pop into my mind as I try to determine how I might play my DB (once I get it) and this question came to mind:

What are the advantages to Standing while playing vs sitting on a stool while playing, and is one "better" than another perhaps when playing one style of music vs another? Is Arco better one way or the other? etc..etc.

Part II of that question is: When looking at a Stool to buy, is there something you should look for? Ie: Adjustable, for example.

Jason

2. G-force

G-force

try to play standing . It demands more balance but believe me you will be grateful later. I know so many who are addicted to their stool they can no mpre play the bass without it than without strings.
    How tall are you, do you have long or short arms and legs? It all depends.
    DO you have a teacher you can talk to about this. What type of music will you play mostly, arco, pizz, jazz, solo?
    It all depends.
    I will so that those how start out sitting, almost NEVER learn to play standing. An dbelieve me it sucks if you forget you chair.
    G

3. MartinBorgen

MartinBorgen

I tried to start out standing, but the balancing was hard and made my right hand cramp. All technique got way easier when I started sitting. I can play standing now again suddenly, but the shift to thumb position is where my balance crashes. Basically, i can make it work standing bot not hard stuff.

4. anneja

anneja

In the Netherlands, all the pros sit, because you have more control over your instrument.
    I am now in Germany, and all the pros stand because then you have more control over your instrument.

huh.

I started out sitting, because i was in the Netherlands and wanted the most control over my instrument :p. and then i got tired of lugging my stool (i have two: an old drummer stool, height-adjustable, but i am small (1m72) and play a small bass (between 1/2 and 3/4); if i was any taller it wouldn't go high enough. And a foldable ironing stand. It was cheap (15 euros), is portable, goes high enough, but needs better padding..) on the bus, and learned how to stand.

Nowadays i just go with what the rest of the section does, allthough i'm already the odd one out for playing french bow in Germany..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Brunot

Brunot

I had tremendous problems with technique while standing, but never went into sitting and with time and evaluation I came to a point where I can play in a relaxed way standing. My teacher considered have me sit multiple times, but we solved all the problems and I am glad for it as I have a lot more freedom how and where I can play at a satisfiable level.

He himself, after 25 years sitting, began to learn playing standing simply because he found himself addicted to his stool and was not able to play properly without it.

That said I consider standing superior for me due to versatility, however for heavy thumb position playing and long periods of playing sitting can prove very useful. And after all, we should all play in a way where we can express ourselves the best.

7. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

Learn both, play sitting in orchestra (your back will thank you), do whatever feels best in a small group situation, and you should at least try to play solo classical works standing (I've never managed to make this work, however).

As for finding a stool, the main consideration is where the foot rungs are, so you have one at a comfortable height where your left foot needs to be in order to support the back of the instrument.

Myself, I find my arco tone goes away standing, and I've never really felt the need to change. 'cello players sit, why shouldn't we.