Noob's plan gone awry!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AudioDwebe, Nov 29, 2012.

1. AudioDwebe

AudioDwebe Supporting Member

So my plan was this: Pick up a few basses to see which one I liked best, or felt right, and sell all others.

Unfortuately, each one I pick up I like for a different reason.

I'm thinking the plan might have backfired a tad!

My guess is this reaction is pretty much the norm with most folks 'round here, no?

2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

I'm sure you're not the first to grow fond of a bass you originally intended to sell.

More importantly though, what'd ya get? And where's the pics?

3. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

4. ACNick

ACNick Guest

I, too, have grown attached to bass guitars I had originally intended to sell. I own a 5 string Schecter that I bought on an impulse, and quickly realized that I don't like playing 5 string basses. I've put it up for sale a few times over the years, but every time I ended up taking it off the market. It's grown on me, even though I hardly ever play it (it looks mighty nice hanging on the wall, at least!)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rtslinger

rtslinger

Yeah we all go through that at any degree of playing ha ha ha I currently own 8 had a lot more than that before, Stolen, lost after leading one to someone, left behind in a different city love each one for different reason

7. spade2you

spade2you

Does this constitute "fussing" over gear?

8. dave64o

dave64o A legendary low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

To say that's "pretty much the norm with most folks 'round here" is the understatement of the year! :p

FWIW, I have no time to commit to a band right now, and probably not for the next few years, so I'm not in a band. I'm just playing at home and taking lessons. So do I need four basses?! Absolutely not!!! But I like each a lot, for some very specific reasons, so I can't bring myself to get rid of any. I can justify (in other words, rationalize :D ) that statement because I'm selling a fifth one, today as a matter if fact, so I'm actually reducing the size of my collection *down to* four. :D. ;)

9. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

I know your pain EXACTLY! I know this will sound utterly ridiculous, but depending on how good the bass is (quality, value, playability, etc.) and on how attached you become to it, trying to sell it feels like trying to break up with a good girlfriend for no reason!

(Maybe that's just me)

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... yup!!

... :)

Edit to add: ... I should probably say though, that in time they tend weed their way out of the fold ...

... although sometimes, just to make room for new ones coming in ...

... it took me three tries to finally go through with the sale of 70's Jazz recently ... and that was only because I had a large bill due the first of next month ... welcome to the fold, BTW

11. AudioDwebe

I think in a way it sort of does. I've played sax for a number of years and know that better (and generally pricier) the gear, the easier it is to play. Instruments for beginners = difficult to play; pro models = easier to play.

Seems like it should be the exact opposite.

So I picked up one bass a decade ago with the intention of learning it (it was one of the lower end Ibbys that came with an amp). It sat around untouched, for the most part, and moved around with me.

Then I decided that the reason I don't play it was that it's electric and it's a PIA to always have to plug it in. So I decide that an acoustic/electric was what I needed to get myself going. And besides, I convinced myself that being able to actually hear it without an amp was a plus.

I told myself I could play it anywhere, any time, even when my son was over and asleep. So I picked one up.

Unfortunately, the action was so high that I had a difficult time playing it. I was such an noobie at the time (and an ignorant one at that) that I didn't understand I could have taken it into a tech and had the action lowered to where there wouldn't be an inch of space between the strings and fretboard.

So that sat around for a number of months.

Then I decided I needed an electric again. This time I decided a five string would be the answer, as a four string's spacing sort of scared me a bit. (Now, I don't know why that was. I can only guess that I was more used to messing around with my guitar and the bass' spacing seemed so wide to me.).

Then I decided a better quality instrument would be what I really needed to transition into a musician. So that's the kind of "fussing" with equipment I was talking about, not a bassist who fusses over buzzing strings and such.

12. AudioDwebe

Funny you mention the girlfriend thing.

I was really into audio for a very long time. Absolutely loved the equipment. I'd sold a number of pieces over the years, had sort of forgetten about them.

Then, one day I was looking through my old digital photos and came across a few of them.

I ******** you not, it felt almost the same as looking at fotos of old girlfriends. Probably had a bit more fondness, as most of equipment sold was due to financial reasons and ex-girlfriends are "ex's" for a reason.

I should probably sell one of my basses and put that money toward a shrink.

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep! That's why you'll end up owning multiple basses.

14. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Oh my...you have struck a nerve! I have way too many basses and love to play them all. As a noob, I rationalize that learning to play on different necks and with various tones equips me to play any electric bass. Plus I love to play them all.

As opposed to multiple girlfriends, basses elicit only mild reaction from the wife. And they are not illegal, immoral or fattening. Way less expensive than sports cars, less painful than triathlons and less dangerous than motorcycles.

So I am a monogamous husband and a promiscuous bassist! :shrug:

15. dave64o

dave64o A legendary low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Oooooooooooooo, that is GOOD! :cool:

I've gotta remember to use that the next time I get pulled into a discussion about gear I've bought!

16. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

EXACTLY! There are WAY WORSE things to fuss over. This is a clean hobby that would normally not break up your marriage! (Unless you mortgage your house to buy a Fodera and a Ritter both at the same time and end up not being able to afford the mortgage payment.... then.... yes.. maybe the wife would have a reason to bi#ch) :bag:

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, Welcome. You have finally arrived. You are now soon to officially enter the TB family.

Rule: Tone is where you find it.

There are so many basses and so little time! A 4 string isn't a 6 string or a 7 string. A fretted and a fretless or a doubled octave bass are TOTALLY different from each other. And oddly EACH can find music where it has its place.

Each bass I own has SOMETHING about it that resonates in me and is unique and special. My Jazz Fender isn't my G&L isn't my Stingray clone isn't my Squire P/J isnt' my Ibby isn't my ... well you get the picture. Sometimes the music has me concentrating on just one of the collection and the next thing you know everything has changed and then another one is a main axe for a while. Which is why I keep them all. You never know which one will be the one you "need".

TB rule: You can never own too many basses. :D