1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Nook or Fire or ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NS2A, Nov 26, 2012.

1. NS2A

NS2A

So grandma wants to get my kids (ages 9 and 7) a tablet for under $200 Christmas. Can't be an ipad because of the cost.

They'd be using it for
    1) streaming videos, youtube etc.
    2) internet
    3) games (just the simple online stuff)

I'd be nice if we could hook it to a TV to watch streaming movies, but I don't think the Nook or Fire has a hookup.

Any recommendations?
  2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

3. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I was thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HD, I was just looking them over earlier today. At least one (if not all) of the Fires has an HDMI output, so yes, you can hook it up to your TV.
  4. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

they're all pretty nice products, im partial to the fire.
  5. hover

hover

Nexus > Fire > Nook
  6. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

The Nexus breaks the sub 200 dollar rule presented by the OP.

at least all the ones I'm finding do.
  7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

The nexus 7 is 199, 209 in Canada if I'm not mistaken. The main problem per the op's criteria is TV streaming, it would require a device selling for 90$ (htc media stream I think)
  8. tplyons

tplyons

Until you get to the price requirement, the iPad mini takes the cake.

But for under $200, I don't think you can beat the Kindle Fire.
  9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

all the ones I'm seeing are 249 - 279. but if they're going for 199 treat em like basses, play with em all til you find the one you like best.
  10. hover

hover

11. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

12. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

My ten year old has a fire ,,,has had only one lockup and it has never repeated for several months now . She uses the heck out of it for reading ,games and internet . She does not require any help with it since she got the hang of it .

I buy her amazon gift cards to buy games and books . She has her own account and I don't have to link my bank account to it . I don't have to mess with a prepaid card....i am looking into my local library in respect to digital downloads which would be free as a tax paying member of the local community. They say it's coming or maybe it's already here....http://evpl.org/

She is an advanced reader and this device has spurred her to read even more .... Looks like that is where it is heading

I have no experience with the other devices
  13. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

Nexus 7 16GB version is only $199
    Sears had a sale today on the 32GB version for only $224, but that's probably gone..
  14. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The kindle has annoying restrictions wrt the software you can install. Rooting it left me with a brittle device that needs re-rooting every now and then and the Android market doesn't work right.

While B&N is also locking them down the Nooks are said to be both a little less crippled before rooting and a little friendlier when operating rooted.
  15. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    So you have two kids, and she's getting them ONE tablet? I sense problems in your future...

For kids 7 and 9 I'd suggest maybe a pair of the cheaper android tablets they sell at stores like Big Lots for around $79-$109. They won't know the difference, and not having to share will make the house much more peaceful. But they're your kids, not mine.
  16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

My wife the librarian tells me there are some tablets made specifically for children - depends on age-appropriateness (LeapPad, VTech stuff), but simplest all around might be the Kindle Fire, which can be set for FreeTime for kids. Your kids might be a little old for a LeapPad but I wouldn't just set them loose on the internet at their age. The Amazon website explains it. $179 to be commercial-free, $159 with ads. Plus case!
  17. NS2A

NS2A

No. One tablet for each. $200 each is about the max, maybe a little more would be ok.

They are 7 and 9 and do a lot of youtube, and play (mostly) educational games on the PBS sites.

They are both in advanced math and reading programs at school (if that means anything) and had leap pad a few years ago and went through it pretty quickly.

Seems like Fire is the best bet here, although I am not reading it may not be as durable.:meh:
  18. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

amazon has excellent customer service.
  19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler Supporting Member

Used books cost less than a burger and you can give them away to your friends when you're done.
  20. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Love my Nexus 7 32gb, but no TV out. That's what the MB Pro is for in my house.