Nordstrand Big singles or Bartolini M4 Soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scjbass92, Sep 9, 2013.

1. scjbass92

scjbass92

I am in the process of replacing the pickups in my Peavey Grind 5 String. I cant deal with the dull sound anymore. Im torn between these two pickups. I loved the way the nordstrands sounded in the Ibanez 1205e, but at the same time love the way the bartolinis sound as well. I need help deciding which set I should go with. As for the sound Im looking for. I play in the Gospel/Church setting, and I need that deep growl, punchy sound heard throughout the Church Setting. Thanks.

2. scjbass92

scjbass92

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

The Barts will be way more versatile...deeper and smoother sounding. The Nords will be louder, brighter, and bring out the clang like nothing else!

4. scjbass92

scjbass92

So I should go with the Nords?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

What kind of sound do you want?

7. mustBmtd

mustBmtd

I've gone with the Delano's. And man what a super pickup set I decided on. Already have a set for my other 2 basses. My bass tech is loving the work as well as the out come of tones........:hyper:

8. scjbass92

scjbass92

Are they humbuckers^

9. Hapa

Hapa

Go with the Nordstrands. Granted I am assuming you are going to have an EQ onboard the Nordstrand pickups will give you a more passive tone before the EQ. Bartolini pickups can be passive but IME always have an EQ after the fact. Exception to the HZ series

10. scjbass92

scjbass92

So you're saying I wouldn't need to add a preamp with the nords?

11. Hapa

Hapa

No, they are quite hot. Designed to be passive and enhanced by an EQ. Plenty of Passive basses with Nordstrand Big singles. The only pickup that one may say "needs" an eq is the fat stacks when in noise cancelling mode.

If you want tonal flexibility beyond a passive tone control definately add an EQ of your choice...I still reccomend the Nordstrand pre, it can be ordered to suit your needs/knob layout. and most dealers will wire it up for you...Call the Nordstrand shop or best bass gear.com both will know everything about getting you taken care of properly.