1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Nordstrand Dual Coil Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eddododo, Jan 4, 2014.

1. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

does anyone know how to tell if the nordy DC pickups i have are the series or the parallel winding?

Thanks!

They are for/from a Roscoe, perhaps that helps

Thanks!
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Can you measure the DC resistance with a meter?
  3. eddododo

Indeed i can, though post gig and when i unpack from moving e_e

I'll see if i can find specs and compare, solid idea thanks
  4. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    on more recent sets there should be a labeling that says par or ser on the back.
    If not measure the resistance and let me know….
  5. eddododo

Meter is 'lost in the move' for now, but I'm certain they are the series version, as they came with them originally

Does anyone have experience with this version used/switched in parallel and/or single?

Thanks
  6. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars & Basses
    Mandatory bass pic:

[​IMG]

whad do you need to know? I have my four wired ser/para/single and the five wired single inner / single oute / humbucking (the brighter one).

AFAIK one of these is the series model and the other one is para - but I`m not 100% sure. Either way I use them in single coil mode 99% of the time - sounds great!
    They are relatively low output in that mode, but I don`t like loud pickups anyway.
  7. eddododo

Mostly curious about how the series version performs in parallel.. and single of course, but i expect the parallel to be more problematic? I expect the volume drop but is the parallel setup WEAK? Honky, nasally?

I would likely, if the parallel sound is worth it, add a volume trimmer to take down the series sound closer to the parallel, if the latter isnt too anemic
  8. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    series wired to sc and par will have a lower output and a "flatter"/smooth less punchy sound.
    To someone it might translate as " anemic", too me sounds smoother, more open, less "harsh" highs.
    I think the more problematic would be the sc mode, kinda thin.
    Parallel will still have a certain fatness, deeper lows, scoop high mids and very smooth highs.

as usual IME/O etc…..

ultimately it depends greatly on the player and bass basic sound (wood combo/pups placement/preamp etc)
  9. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars & Basses
    Listen for yourself:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/nordstrand-dual-coil-coil-switching-samples-971070/

There is a HUGE volume difference between single coil and series. Paralell is much closer to single coil in both tone and volume - but still distincly different.

All three are perfectly usable, but I`m simple guy and find the different single-coil settings more interesting than having two humbucking ones.
  10. eddododo

Thank you both!

The reason im so hellbent on making this hard for myself is that the whole reason i got the nordys was that i wanted something a little different out of the roscoe, and it seems that the series is fairly similar to my barts already