1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Nordstrand Dual Coil vs Big Splits

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Black Sheep, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Supporting Member

Is there anything lost in getting the DC5s vs the Big Splits? Big Splits seem like they might fit the bill, but I would like to play around with Parallel/Single/Series switching, so that would be DCs.
    Clips I've heard of the splits are great, so I'm wondering if I get DCs to have some options if I would be dissapointed...

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Neh, I don't think you will be dissapointed :) Since it's parallel / Single / Series switching, you have a lot more sound possibility's and a more clear sound, especially parallel wired and in single :)

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Personally, I regard the Big Splits as the best pickups I've ever had. Your taste may vary.
    They were incredibly high output, had the Super-Jazz tone by the snowplow full, but certainly pushed the input on my amps, even passively.

I've never tried the DCs before and would love to. But I've tried other dual-coil pickups before, wired them up with switching, then found that I would tend to leave them in one setting all the time.
    I also noticed that the dual coil pickups never really sound the same as single and/or split single coil. In other words, not terribly "Jazzy".
    Also, with the "single coil" mode, there is 60 cycle hum. That's something I can't stand, so I invariably just wire series/parallel switching.

If it were me, I'd do Big Splits if I was going after a super J tone and DCs if I wanted something fatter and warmer, with switching options.

/my $0.02

4. Black Sheep

While I like to play with settings, I also tend to gravitate toward the same place for most stuff. I've never set up DCs like that before, though, so I thought I'd like to give it a try.
    So for full disclosure, I am running SGD wides, with a Bart 5.4A/P. The Bart will stay. The SGDs are really nice pickups, they sound great for almost everything I need to do. For my ears, I'd like the option of a little more growl, and more bridge pickup burp. I do roll toward the bridge pickup often to get more cut, but it's very clean.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Jayne

David Jayne

+1 to everything Rojo said. Well put.

7. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Thanks, dmusic!

Black Sheep, you and I sound like we are about the same kind of player when it comes to these things, so I'll gladly tell you my experiences...

I have wanted to try out SGD pickups, but never quite found the project for them. I actually ended up with DELANOS last time I was in the project mode that you seem to be in. And those pickups sounded phenomenal as well. But the Nordys crushed them for output and J tone. The Delanos were hi-fi and very sweet, but less output.

If the SGDs are anything like Delanos, the Nordys will make a very big change in tone. Whether you end up liking it or not is up to you.

Out of curiosity, what kind of bass is it? What shape are the pickups?

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I agree as well. I put Big Splits in my Lakland. Great pickups and yes, extremely high output. Good thing my pre has an output gain pot which I turned all the way down. Bass is perfect now. I'm not much for electronics with so much switching options. I'm a plug and play guy.

Just so you know, the Big Singles/Big Splits are based on Jazz bass type pickups. The DC's are not.

9. Black Sheep

I've got the SGD's in my Carvin LB75. I have the P2 shape pickups.

(incidentally, the Carvin cavities are a little small, and need a little shaving to fit other P2 size soaps. I borrowed a set of Barts from tubby which were not close to fitting)

10. rojo412

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I got my Delanos from Tubby! Small world...

If you ever get rid of the SGDs, let me know. I have a bass that may fit them and always wanted to try them out.

11. Black Sheep

Anyone come across good DC5 clips?

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

@ Black Sheep -

FYI, I have a set of Nordstrand Dual Coils in my Carvin LB75, along with a Delano Sonar 3-band, 18-volt onboard preamp. It's true, they're not intended to provide that "Super J" tone that so many players apparently covet, and they are more of that "fatter and warmer" humbucker thing that rojo described. So if Super J is what you want, then best that you stick with the Big Splits.

That said, the Dual Coils are everything I could want or need for this bass, because I'm more of a humbucker kind of player anyway. These things are nicely responsive to touch - and they'll growl if you want them to. They are my designated "modern rock" pickups, for my designated "modern rock" bass guitar. :bassist:

@ rojo412 -

I own two (2) sets of SGD ND3 wide-aperture Neo humbuckers, which I use in my pair of Carvin Icon five-strings - one fretted, the other fretless. Combined with an 18-volt Audere 3ZB four-band preamp + "Z" mode switch, the Icons with my SGDs are phat - but also very clean, warm & hi-fi...in the best sense of the term. IME, they don't growl like an aggressive rock pickup (i.e. the Nordstrands), but for any kind of application that requires a phat, deep, powerful, room-shaking low end, clear & detailed midrange, and a crisp yet smooth high end, these things are wonderful. Highly recommended.

MM

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Yup. I have a pair of Big Singles in my ash/maple Stambaugh - they're the biggest, nastiest jazz bass sounding pickups you can get. The DC in my fretless can bark well, but it's a very different vibe.