1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Nordstrand MM 4.2!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by T-Mac, Feb 10, 2013.

1. T-Mac

T-Mac Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey folks,

Early this week I installed a 2 pole 3 position switch into my Stingray SLO special. It has a Nordy MM 4.2 and a sweet 2 band EQ.

Wiring it for series/parallel was a no brainer, but I wasn't sure what to do with the third position. I kicked around the idea of having an "off" position but decided what the heck...go for single coil. So I did, using the coil closest to the neck. I thought by the off chance that I do use this option, I'd get a little more signal and it wouldn't be quite so edgy and thin.

Well, gig last night, and you can guess what position I used for 90% of the night....single coil! The band has twin 18" subs and stage sound can get a bit boomy. After setting up, I played a few notes in each switch position and thought SC was the best option so I sound checked with it with the band.

OMG...awesome! I'll have to measure, but I think the neck coil is a bit closer to the nut than a Jazz bridge PUP, but not as close as a Jazz neck PUP. The thing was meaty and had some bite.

Glad I didn't go with the "off" position!

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    This is great, thanks for sharing!

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered Panther Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Very cool! Single-coil will have the most bite, for sure, but if you find yourself on a noisy stage, you'll be thankful for the parallel setting. Similar tone, though a bit more muted, but no hum.

And series gets you into P-bass territory. :)

It's really nice to have all three options.