Nordstrand MM 4.2!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by T-Mac, Feb 10, 2013.

1. T-Mac

T-Mac Supporting Member

Hey folks,

Early this week I installed a 2 pole 3 position switch into my Stingray SLO special. It has a Nordy MM 4.2 and a sweet 2 band EQ.

Wiring it for series/parallel was a no brainer, but I wasn't sure what to do with the third position. I kicked around the idea of having an "off" position but decided what the heck...go for single coil. So I did, using the coil closest to the neck. I thought by the off chance that I do use this option, I'd get a little more signal and it wouldn't be quite so edgy and thin.

Well, gig last night, and you can guess what position I used for 90% of the night....single coil! The band has twin 18" subs and stage sound can get a bit boomy. After setting up, I played a few notes in each switch position and thought SC was the best option so I sound checked with it with the band.

OMG...awesome! I'll have to measure, but I think the neck coil is a bit closer to the nut than a Jazz bridge PUP, but not as close as a Jazz neck PUP. The thing was meaty and had some bite.

Glad I didn't go with the "off" position!

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

This is great, thanks for sharing!

3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Very cool! Single-coil will have the most bite, for sure, but if you find yourself on a noisy stage, you'll be thankful for the parallel setting. Similar tone, though a bit more muted, but no hum.

And series gets you into P-bass territory. :)

It's really nice to have all three options.