Nordstrand MM 4.4 in Lakland 494

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nozkcb, Dec 6, 2011.

1. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

I just purchased a Nordstrand MM 4.4 to replace the Bartolini bridge pickup in my 1999 Lakland 494. Neither the wiring notes in the pickup box or online addresses this configuration.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Nord and Bart have the same color code….

Just wire the Nord the same as the Bart.

M

3. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Thanks. Any idea what (if anything) I should do with the shielding wire?

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Today, I did it. I worked up the courage to swap out the pickups in my 494.

In addition to the MM4.4, I also picked up a Nordstrand NJ4SV and put the MM4.4 and the single coil in the bass and WOW! What a difference in the tone. The punch, clarity and character has really come to the surface.

Note: I had to dial down the active output because the Nordstrands have more output than the Barts.

I'm also thinking out swapping the wiring on the active/passive switch so that the default position would be passive.

I'll post an update once I've used it on a gig but so far, DANG!

7. Ewoe21

Ewoe21

Nordstrand are the best. I put NP4's in my P bass and I can't believe how much better it sounds.

8. rheohead

rheohead

Can you please tell us what the result of your pickup swap was?

I am thinking of doing the exact same thing to my 44-02 (w/Barts) with the exact same pickups. Even down to reversing the active/passive switch so passive mode is in the down position.

Also, is your Lakland maple or rosewood fretboard?

Thanks.

9. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Sorry I didn't see this question until now.

If it's at all still relevant, the answer is the fingerboard is maple.

I still very much like the tone of the Nordstrand pickups and my only issue is with the lack of grounding on the pole pieces on the MM4.4 pickup. I contacted Nordstrand and spoke with them and as it turns out, there is nothing wrong with my pickup rather, they intentionally (for some reason) don't ground the pole pieces in the pickup.

The problem is every time your finger makes contact with a pole piece, you get little buzz in your sound. Not a huge problem, but annoying and something that I wouldn't expect from a premium pickup maker either. :rollno:

Their suggestion was to remove the pickup and get shielding foil, and from the bottom of the pickup solder the ground to the shielding and adhere it to the bottom of the poles then, reinstall the pickup.

Another suggestion from somewhere on the web was to remove the cover of the pickup and spray a thin clear-coat over the poles. . .

Either way, a pain in the ass and not something that I'm inclined to do myself.