Nordstrand NJ4 problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SeeBread, Jan 22, 2014.

1. SeeBread

SeeBread

Just bought some new Nordy NJ4's with the intention of installing them in my MIM jazz bass.

Only problem is, they don't seem to fit the pickup cavities well at all. On the whole they are far to large and have to be 'squeezed' in. The screw positions match up, it's just the actual cavity that seems too small.

What's going on? The stock pickups fitted fine.

-SeeBread

2. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

I have nords in my MIA Standard, I didn't have this problem. I have heard of certain pickups (Fralins) having issues like this, even on custom shop fenders. You can file it out a little, or even dremel if your feeling dangerous. Calling Maurillio...He'll know more about the luthier/guitar tech questions and about nordstrands in particular.

3. sratas

sratas

first thing to try, swap the pickup plastic cover and install the nj4s in the Fender ones.
    If it does not solve your problem, you have to modify something structural

4. SeeBread

SeeBread

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, have already tried. The NJ4's don't fit inside the stock fender casing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SeeBread

SeeBread

Another thought, I think this MIM body is '94, or something like that - a little older. They may have changed the cavity routing sizes since then.

7. vince a

vince a

I have to ask . . . do you have the correct pickup in the right hole . . . they 'are' different!

8. SeeBread

SeeBread

Yes, I made doubly sure when I installed them :p