1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Nordstrand NJ4 sound clips!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vanselus, Jul 27, 2004.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    Design: EA Amps
  2. Lockout

Lockout

Mmmm... those sound really nice. Thanks for all the clips. ;)

I wonder how they compare with Lindy Fralin J's...

3. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    Thanks for listening!

I wonder too - seems like that would be a fierce competition.

4. jenderfazz

jenderfazz

Very nice sound to those things! By the way, what song do you play for the "chords" clips? It's funky!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    That's an arrangement of the jazz standard "I remember you" that was done by my bass instructor, Randy McCluskey. www.randymccluskey.com

glad you like it!

7. CrazySean

CrazySean

First of all, I am pleased to see that you have updated your site as I'm a basstasters superfan as you probably have figured out.

Secondly, I just checked the site for new preamps and see that you now have now have Pickups?! :eek: I was not expecting that. Glad to see you have a new addition to the site.

As for the pickups, they sound nice. Hard to say if they are better, it's just a matter of tone preference. But I will say that the Nordstrand P/Us noticeably sound warmer than the stock. Actually, after to listening to the clips again, I can at least say that I prefer the Nordstrand p/us on "groove." (In general, I prefer a warmer and fatter sound.)

Perhaps if you just put some flats (or tapewounds) on your jazz, the stocks could be just as warm though (or at least warmer in general of course). But that's just a guess. Don't quote me on that. ;)

Real tough call on "slap." I kinda like both. And on chords, I guess if I had to choose I would pick stock, since they're clearer. But they both sound good in they're own respects.

BTW, what song are you playin' on "groove"? It sounds like RATM...

Sean

Note: I almost always listen to all clips on basstasters w/ headphones. Results may vary.

8. CrazySean

CrazySean

I guess I said it all then. :D Anyone got anything else to add?

9. Hman

Hman

I hope Todd will test everything with the Nordstrand SC5 :D

10. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    Hurrah! I have a superfan! Heh... seriously, thanks for the support!

Glad you liked it - more pickups coming soon, and a brand new section for cabinets!

Warmer, fatter, but also much clearer. The best part of Carey's pickups is how they break up under increased plucking - they just keep getting warmer and grittier, very addictive!

No way - the flats will just reduce the amount of top end and give a thuddier sound. The warmth and tightness of the tone wouldn't be reproduced by just changing strings.

I like the NJ4 all round - I can't stand the brittle, harsh treble on the stock pickups. Groove is a song by my old band, CHP. (www.vanselus.com/chp) (chp mp3's at www.tracygoodsmith.com in the "listen" section)

Headphones are a good choice - usually much more true than speakers of the same price, especially computer speakers.

Thanks again for all the comments!

11. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    How could I not? I'll record clips right away. My only question is ... how on earth could you sell that beauty?

12. Hman

Hman

Todd...I sold the SC5 to Embellisher...and I think you're getting the other SC5 right??? :bag: Are you getting Embellisher SC5 for a test???

BTW...I got more Nordies coming my way :help:

13. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Hey thanks for the cool review. I just got a set of these and am about to drop them in a fairly recent MIM J that I picked up for a good price right here on TB.

Your results make me feel good about my choice.

Have you already done the NJ4SE's?

14. robb.

robb.

i thought the nordstrands sounded more "open" on the top end. they had almost a chorus effect, whereas the fender pickups were much tighter and had less "bloom".

the added low end was also noticeable in the nordstrands.

robb.

15. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    I have not, although I will soon. I wanted to get a little more playing time on the NJ4's so I could tell what the differences were.

Soon!

Truly a good choice in a MIM J. They took mine from "i'll play it if I have to" to "wow, this sounds pretty dang good!"

16. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    Yeah, I didn't mean your SC5 that Embellisher has, but the other one, Bill Norman's & Funky C's & now my ebony SC5.

You ordered more?? Now what? :D

17. carl-anton

carl-anton

That's some funky tunes :cool: I like you sound, what gear did you use? It's nice fat and warm and still articulate.

BTW. Any chances you're going to test the Nordstrand MM PU's when they come out? I would like to hear how much warmer a MM could sound with one of these.

18. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures:
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! That's my MTD 535 (korina/wenge/maple) recorded direct into the board.

If I can get my hands on a MM for a bit, I'll definitely give the Nord's a shot!

19. CrazySean

CrazySean

No way, dude, cabinets?!? Hopefully, you'll get some sponsors to send you some. (Talk to Mike Dimin, he might hook you up with EA.)

Now all that's left is a tubes section. :D

EDIT: And a picks section for all the rockers out there. LOL. OT: I've been exclusively using this black Marshall Medium pick that some guitarist left at the studio for awhile now, and it serves me well. But my main pick was a black Dunlop Sharp pick (with a Turtle on it), until I lost it. It was the one of the best picks I ever used. And I'm pretty picky about picks :p (still, nothing beats the tone of my fingernail yet). Back to topic...

20. sheepdog

sheepdog

digging this up from old posts....

There is a link on the site saying NJ4 and NJ4SE. I was really interested to hear a comparison of those 2 pickups, but the links went to the same clips (unless I did something wrong). Are those actually different pups because they sound identical

21. vanselus

vanselus

Disclosures: