1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

'Nordstrand nj4' vs. 'Suhr Classic J'

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sidney H, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Sidney H

Sidney H

Hi everybody. Does anyone had experienced Suhr's Classic J Humphrey (hum free) or Classic J Vintage pickup? How does it compares to Nordstrand's nj4?

I read a lot of reviews on Nordstrand, but very few on Suhr.

I am planning to put one of those in my Mexican Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

Thanks.

2. brianh

brianh

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Strings
    I've used all and prefer the Suhr vintage singles. The humphreys are great, but like all noise canceling pickups the do sound a bit different than singles.

Nj4 are also nice, but for me a bit too much bottom in their voicing - in no way bad, but a bit more modern sounding

3. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

NJ4 is more modern sounding. More lows, mid scooped and bigger sounding.
    The Suhr's are more even and smoother. According to John Suhr they use the SAME alnico 5 magnets that Fender used in the early sixties. I prefer the Suhr's. Cary worked for Suhr back in the day. You really have to do a direct comparison to be sure which pickup sounds best for your needs.

4. Sidney H

Sidney H

Thank you guys for helping clarify the difference between the two pickups.

As I live in Brazil, it's hard to test and compare between those two brands prior to buying, but will go for the Suhr because of the vintage sound.

5. Register to disable this ad