1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Nordstrand NJ5F disappointed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lukiluk, Feb 13, 2014.

1. lukiluk

lukiluk

Hello to all .. I have a Fender Jazz Deluxe V Mexico .. Yesterday I decided to install the Nordstrand nj5f (single coil) instead of the Fender noiseless .. I've always heard good things about Nordstrand so I tried .. I was really disappointed, I feel a lot more midrange, especially high mids,but none warmth .. The Noiseless are much more balanced, less aggressive, more warm, more fuller sound .. I thought initially it was the fault of the stock Fender preamp, so I connected directly the pickups to the jack, but the result has not changed unfortunately .. Has anyone else had my own impressions?
  2. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    They wind sadowskys pickups even tho they are rogers own wind formula. I had heard rave reviews about the nordstrsnds as well but when I plugged in my will lee I was less than impressed. ..I know I will get crucified by the sadowsky and nord devout followers but I found them kinda sterile sounding. It was ashmae because the craftsmanship and feel of the will lee is like no other...outta this world!! Dropped in a set of lollars and shes my favorite axe!!
  3. lukiluk

lukiluk

Sterile sound is the more appropriate term to describe it ... That's what disappointed me ... The Lollar have a fuller sound?
  4. jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Everybody's ear equates to different tastes but you sound like you are coming from my camp so yeah the lollars to me sound full and warm with plenty of articulation. The will lee has an adjustable mid switch so I can dial the mids in or out to suit whatever tone im lookin for. I think you will like them. I think they are the 60s wind because I think they make a 70s wind with the smaller enamel wire as well.
  5. LightGroove

LightGroove

I liked Lollars a lot but I tell you those Fender 60s reissue pups have by far been my favorite...FYI I loathe anything Fender but those are good
  6. jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Yeah any of fenders newer single coil stuff...avri included... are spot on. Their select jazz pickups are killer and overwound based on their normal stuff at like 8.4k resistance. Their custom shoo jazz pickups that are standard now on all the am jazzes pack a pretty good punch too. The lollars worked really killer with the sadowsky pre amp and circuitry for me. Another great jazz pickup I stumbled upon on you tube is the company mojo. They make a clone 70s wind that I put on my avri 74 that is outta this world. I thought the avri pickip absolutely nailed the 70s tone...which is a little boomy and muddy but the mojo is articulate, punchy and the highs dont sound honky when popped if you know what 8 mean.
  7. lukiluk

lukiluk

Ok... But if I would a five strings set pickups?
  8. LightGroove

LightGroove

Yes jammin..I think mine were the AVRI variety...I liked them a lot

lukiluk.. 5 strings ..Have you looked at Bartolini? They are darker and can def. be perceived as warmer. Im a fan of their CB line as they are a touch more "open"
  9. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

I own two basses with Nord and Lollar J pickups.
    Both sounds really warm and balanced.