Nordstrand pickup swap, worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassplaynbaiken, Apr 3, 2014.

1. bassplaynbaiken

bassplaynbaiken

I recently bought a Godin with a p/j configuration. I love the way the bass feels and dig the tone I get as well, but in all but one setting (p pickups spilt coil position) I get a pretty nasty hum.
    I've been looking at nordstrand pickups because I love the way they sound in other high end bases I've heard and they offer noiseless varieties. And I figure if I'm going to go through the trouble of changing out the pickups, I'd like to get even better tone in the end.
    My questions are: could I expect noticeably better tone over the stock Seymour Duncans? Is the noise canceling a sure thing? Is it worth the $295 plus repair fee on an $800 bass? Appreciate the feedback!

2. bassplaynbaiken

bassplaynbaiken

I think the pickups might actually be Godin's own design, not seymour duncans.

3. Itzayana

Itzayana

Personally I wouldn't spend $300 on an $800 dollar bass thus making it an $1100 bass that I might only be able to get $400 for. Unless there was some kind of special sentimental reason that compelled me to keep the thing, I would get rid of it and go find a bass that I really liked just the way it is.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    The J pickup is producing the hum. Any humcancelling J pickup will fix that issue.
    Nordys are nice pickups, but if you want to spend less, there are plenty of other options.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Speaking as someone who has owned and played a Shifter Classic, I never found the hum to be that bad. That said, it would be an easy enough fix, as has been mentioned above. Swap out the single coil J for a hum cancelling J, and leave the existing P in there. You should be able to pick up a used hum cancelling J for well under $100 here in the classifieds - even new $100 would do it - and then sell the one you pull out. Even if you only get $20 for it, you are still easily under $100 for the whole deal.

IMO, it is a nice enough bass that if that is the only thing getting in the way of you fully enjoying it, the <$100 cost is worth the investment.

P.S. They are Godin's own pickups, and are ceramics. As far as I know and have heard, SD had nothing to do with them.

7. bassplaynbaiken

bassplaynbaiken

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm looking at the hum debugger pedal right now as my possible best move. It's under$100 used and I wouldn't have to mess with a nice bass, plus I could also use it on my 71 Gibson sb400, which has been sitting in my closest because it's got some serious hum issues.