1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Nordstrand VS Bartolini

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eupharies, Feb 3, 2013.

1. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    Hello

My bass has 2 x EMG HB's in with a EMG BTC preamp.

I have been looking at these 2 companies Soapbar pickups that would directly replace my 2 EMG's...

I was simply wondering if anyone has any recommendation on these models... or if you have another suggestion im more than happy to hear!

Have been looking at the bartolini m4....

an

nordstrand dual coil / big split / fat stack / big singles

Although im not 100% sure the big split would be a direct replacement..

I hate the EMG sound HB sound, to sterile, i want something a bit more warm and yet still gritty and aggressive...

Im happy to change the preamp as well if needed...
    Thanks
  2. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

subcribed
  3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Really would help if you tell us what bass this is going in and what your tonal goals are. AFAIK, all the Nordstrands you mention have the same dimensions. I just put a Nordie P5 and Nordie Big Split in my 2012 Fernder American Standard Precision 5. The controls are V/V/T with a three way switch for p/both/bs. The results are nothing short of astonishing. The Big Split is in the 70's position on my bass, yet the tone if full and rich. It has a sort to scooped sound, but not thin. It is just that the bottom and top are very present, so the mids sound a bit scooped. Works very well with the P. I would call the tone aggressive. I compared my BS by itself to a 2012 MusicMan StingRay Classic. I absolutely kills it. There are a few things I notice about Nordie's that tell me these are exceptional pickups. One, they respond very well to height adjustment. Two, they respond very well to picking location. Three, they are very touch sensitive. The result is that you can get a really wide variety of tones. However the BS retains that forward voicing. I have yet to use it in a band situation, so the final verdict it out for a couple to days, but noodling at home has been a very pleasurable experience.
  4. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

+1 for the Nordy's
  5. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Nordstrand Soapbars can be made in most common sizes (BC-P2/4-EMG35/40/45 and can also be custom sized).

generalizing:
    agressive= nord
    smooth/thick=bart

nordstrand is developing ceramic and neo blade pickups as we speak….

M
  6. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
    Awesome! Well its going in a custom landing bass, 2 x emg hb pickups with the BTC, it goes V,V, stacked ton Bass/treble neck, stacked tone bass/treble bridge, and a 3 way poickup selector!

To be honest, its to complex, ideally i just want V,V,T,T, then maybe something for mids...

Ill be honest i dont really understand all this stuff that well....

Tone wise i want fat, warm and angry, bit of clang on the end!!

Tone wise something like this ( its just at the start)

http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/Put-mayones-on-it.mp3

7. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
  8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I know a lot of people like the Nordstrand, but the ones I've tried I didn't care for. I'm in the Bartolini camp. That with a Pope preamp is a top shelf combo IMO.
  9. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
    Which ones did you try?
  10. kucor

kucor

Nordies and Barts are very different sounding pickups, It depends what you like from sound.
    best way is to try them all. I've had Nordy DC5s, Big splits and Bart deep tone dual coils in same bass, and didn't really care for Nordstrands, Barts were much more my sound.

Now I have Delano SBCs, they work very nice, but would like to try Fat stacks as I heard they are actually far best Nordy pickups
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Nordstrand pickups are more aggressive in your face type of tone.

Bartolini pickups are very polite mild mannered in their tone.

I prefer Nordstrand.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I have Big Splits in my Lakland! Very aggressive and very hot! Good thing my preamp has a gain trimpot which I had to turn ALL the way down. As for the Barts, it depends on which model you choose. I always go for the Classic Series which are definitely not polite, IMHO. Bartolini does make a lot of 'dark' sounding pickups but they also make 'bright' sounding pickups as well. Their output is tame when compared to Nordies.

My preference is Bartolini. If the pickups I wanted were available, they would have been in the Lakland. At some point, they will be.
  13. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Hot is right. That's why it works so well with a P p'up.