1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Nordstrand vs John East for MM preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silky smoove, Aug 16, 2013.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove

I'm using a Nordstrand MM4.2 in a Stingray build, and can't decide on the preamp.

From my research and thread here on TB; John East's MMSR kind of has its own thing going, whereas the Nordstrand is very close to a vintage set, which is apparently from 1978 that Carey owns.

Anybody done a direct comparison between these two preamps?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I haven't directly A/B'd them but I have heard them in different basses. Both are really well executed and nail the classic Stingray sound.

Just to clarify, John East built his by reverse engineering the preamp from a classic Musicman Sabre.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

the nord and sgd's pre all were built using that same schematic as well. you probably cant go wrong with any of them and if youre handy with a soldering iron, just wire one up yourself using the unclefluffy boards. im currently using one in a 76 jazz and a 79 ray.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove

Me and a soldering iron are not only incompatible, we're sworn enemies, haha.

Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. I like the idea of a Nord and a Nord going together, but I also like, trivial though they may be, the center detents on the John East. The Nord is slightly cheaper than the 2-band East.

I hate when things are so close. It makes my indecisive brain scream at my wallet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

I've checked out the Nordy MM pickup with the vintage preamp. I owned a 79 Stingray. The Nordy pickup and pre sound at least as good, actually a little better. A little thicker on the G string and cleaner low end. This might be just from using higher quality parts than the original preamp.

7. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

I've owned both. The Nord is definitely more faithful to the original.

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz

If by center detents you mean the tone pots have the "center flat position, it has to be a recent version or something.
    I just install a east MM pre for customer and there was no center detent on it (?)

9. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

yeah, my East MMSR preamp does not have any detents either...