Nordstrand vs original stingray pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by YDN, Jan 11, 2014.

1. YDN

YDN

Hey. i picked up an 86 stingray a while back and it has had the original pickup swapped out for a nordstrand mm4.2 (the replicated pre ernie ball pickup.) i have the original pick up and am tempted to put it back in. I was just wondering if anyone has had a chance to play with both and what tonal differences and similarities each one has? any help or advice is appreciated! thanks.
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

More sharp highs with the oem model, more mids with the Nord. The Nord complements the 2 band eq nicely, I preferred the stock pickup with the three band eq.
  3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Nordstrand is based on the old vintage sound, if that's what you dig then keep it in there :)
  4. StefanMarinov

StefanMarinov

I've put a Nord in my '98 stingray5 3eq a while ago...

Very nice sound, warmer than the original, probably as mentioned closer to the pre EB sound but I missed the authority of my bass. It wasn't the focused, uncompromising low mid presence I was used to. Not worse, just slightly different. But the bass didn't feel much like a Stingray any more. At least in my ears. Swapped it back.
    If I had free cash I would have kept it and installed it in another MM or even OLP.
    I guess it comes down to personal preference.