Nordstrands in a Lakland 55-02 with LH3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lorddaftplayer, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Lorddaftplayer

Lorddaftplayer

Anyone running a Lakland 55 series with Nordstrand MM and J replacements and the stock LH3 preamp? I am contemplating this pickup swap in my 55-02, looking for a grittier sound. I have read the limited information on Talkbass and in all cases it appears that the LH3 was not retained. I spoke to Carey at Nordstrand and he believes his pups will work with the LH3, although I might have to change the stock 50k blend pot to a 250k blend pot. No big deal. Has anyone done this? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rock On,
    Lorddaftplayer
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

You should not have to change the plan pot since the Lakland pickups are also passive. I changed my pickups to SGD and then Bart with no issues.
  3. LightGroove

LightGroove

Save the coin..
  4. Lorddaftplayer

Lorddaftplayer

Thanks, guys. MMbongo, Leo at Lakland told me the stock Hanson pups are active. What makes you say they are passive? Yes, Carey at Nordstrom said his pups might work with the stock 50k blend pot, but he also told me they were designed to work with a 250k blend pot, so optimal sound may require a swap, that's "may." LightGroove, you make a lot of sense. It's a good sounding instrument stock. I like it, just wish it had more grit and growl. Why mess with a good thing? To make it better, I suppose.

Thanks again,
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

Because they are passive :) Leo probably meant that the electronics are active, but the pickups are passive.

These are from my 44-02, but the 55-02 pickups are the same other than the size. Passive.

[​IMG]
  7. Lorddaftplayer

Lorddaftplayer

Actually, Leo knew the preamp was active. He had to make an inquiry and call me back to advise on the pickups, which he said are active. I can't tell whether the pups are passive from the photo, my brother. If I was better versed in electronics I wouldn't be on here asking questions, lol. Glad to hear you had no issues swapping to SGDs and then Barts, MMBongo. That gives me hope. I just wish someone on TB, or elsewhere, swapped to Nordstrands and kept the stock pre and could advise me how it worked out. I can't be the first person to try this combo.

Rock with Fury,
  8. mmbongo

Hint: active pickups will have a connection for the battery, which these don't. They will also not work passively, which these do. The preamp even has a passive bypass! Odd that Leo doesn't know this stuff.
    Killens84 likes this.
  9. Lorddaftplayer

Lorddaftplayer

Now that makes sense! Thanks, MMBongo, I appreciate the information. Why have a passive bypass if the pickups are active? Good stuff, thanks, man.

Don't forget to rebel against authority,
  10. Carey

Carey

Just for clarity sake, that should be 500k blend pot. A 50k blend pot would not be optimal. Oh, and my last name is Nordstrand. ;)
  11. mmbongo

It does in fact use a 50k blend pot.

[​IMG]
  12. Carey

Carey

I was referencing what we told Lorddaftplayer. We recommend 250k blend and volume as that's what we use when designing and testing. 500k will work well also. I don't recommend 50k for blend. Mainly because we haven't done any testing with 50k so I have no experience to speak from. It might work fine, but I have no idea.
  13. mmbongo

Gotcha. I'm getting out of my realm here, but I think it has something to do with pickup buffering and whether or not the blend pot is before or after the preamp. Many have it after, where you would use a 250 or 500k, but some (like Lakland and EMG) have it before where you'd use 25k or 50k. Or that could be backwards. Like I said, this is beyond my pay grade :)

But I still say Nordstrands will work fine with no changes, as I've used tons of other passive pickups with those preamps. Got one in my lap right now :)
  14. Lorddaftplayer

Lorddaftplayer

Thanks, for the follow up to our conversation, Carey, I appreciate that. Glad I remembered our conversation correctly. :) Right on about the 50k blend pot, MMBongo, that's what I found in my control cavity. Glad to know this swap will work, gonna do it as soon as the coin allows. Thanks again for the info, gentlemen! I like to know what I'm getting into before I get into it. Blend pots are cheap. It's all about the search for the perfect tone!

Rock with Fury,
  15. LightGroove

LightGroove

I here ya. I honestly dont think your change will get you what you want. That Hanson setup is actually pretty aggressive when eqed right. Have you messed with midpoints and different strings?
  16. bassguyky48

bassguyky48 Supporting Member

I have Nordstrand Big Singles in a Lakland 5501 with a Lakland Pre and it works fine.
    I also have Nordstrand Big Singles in a Lakland 5501 with a Nordy pre that I like better.
    I have Nordstrand Big Splits in a Lakland 5501 with a Demeter Pre and it works OK.

LOVE Nordstand Pickups. I know there are other good brands, but Carey knows how to make 'em!!!! If I could I would have them in every bass I own!!
  17. LightGroove

LightGroove

Lakland

I tried finding similar clips..but also can you tell me there is discernible difference between these 2 that is worth the $$ ? If so...have at it..but I personally cant. Lakland sounds plenty gritty too me...distortion or od pedal maybe?
  18. bassguyky48

bassguyky48 Supporting Member

In my opinion Nordy pre's sound a little like Aquilar. I don't mess with the Lakland pre because the bass sounds good enough and what little improvement might not make much difference. the main thing I don't like about the LH3 pre is that the treble control seems to make only a slight difference........I find that odd.
  19. Lorddaftplayer

Lorddaftplayer

I have heard those sound clips, Lightgroove. I think the Nordstrand MM replacement pup sounds more aggressive than the Lakland Hanson pups. I don't know for sure if they'll get me where I want to be or not, but I am on a quest for a heavier, more aggressive sound. For background, I'm a Spector guy. Been playing Spectors over 30 years. My current main bass is a Doug Wimbish Euro with EMGs and an Aggy OBP 3. It has a heavy, gritty, thick and clear sound down low and highs that cut through the mix really well. I have Euro 5 LX with the same setup that may be the best sounding 5 I've ever heard, to my ears. The lows on that thing are heavy and nasty sounding also. Both basses give me what I'm looking for without being boomy, which I hate. I can't stand a boomy band sound. Anyway, I don't like 17.5mm string spacing, so I picked up a Lakland because it sounds good and has 19mm, 3/4 inch to us Americans, string spacing. The Lakland sounds good, I just want it to sound a bit grittier and heavier than it does. I've played with all my settings and midpoints and it's good, just not quite what I want. I want it to sound a bit thicker if that makes sense. I am a madman on a website full of madmen. Perhaps the Nordys will not get me to the promised land unaided.

Which brings me to bassguy. Any preamp that sounds like an Aggy pre is okay with me, man! Thanks for sharing about the 55-01s, I've always thought a hot rodded 55-01 would sound nice. Thanks again, guys, I'll let you know how it all works out.

To Evil,
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe he saw you at Nordstrom once.
  21. Lorddaftplayer

Lorddaftplayer

It went well. I installed a NJ5S in the neck and a MM5.4 in the bridge. I used the stock 50K blend pot and it sounds fine. The swap has a grittier sound than stock. The pickups are very responsive to my touch. I like the Nordy's better than the Hansons, although I have not had a band practice yet (just installed last night). The MM 5.4 is a monster! The Lakland 3 way toggle lets me choose either bridge pup or both in parallel. The sound is very different in each setting and I'm enjoying discovering all of the tonal options. When I want it, I can get a much more aggressive tone than the stock pups. This was a step in the right direction for me.

To Evil!!!