Nordy Big Singles vs. Nordy NJ4/5's (standard single coils) ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

Hey guys – so I’m hoping you can shed some light on the differences between these two pickups. I’ve read many threads… and I’ve talked to a few folks too, but I still don’t think I have a grasp of what Big Singles sound like – youtube clips included (as they don’t truly put the bass in your hands).

I hear good things & bad things. Here is what I’ve got thusfar, and I’m hoping some of you folks can chime in.

I hear they are overall more strong in the mids & fundamental compared to NJ4/5’s. I’ve also read comments that they sound “nothing like single coils” – Kjung’s who usually describes things in a way I hear too.

It seems the offset coils give the pickups a larger apreature of the string, yielding a thinker tone. Some call it an almost humbucker(dual coil) like tone. Wider & thicker is all good with me, but I don’t want to lose any of that “immediacy” I get from standard NJ4/5’s. Are Big Singles as “quick” and “fast” responding to little nuances in playing just like NJ4/5’s? Or are they really that “humbucker” like? More mids - here, upper, lower, etc... ?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I’m considering a build and don’t know what direction to go in and I have no way of playing them aside from “borrowing” a bass from a dealer which I really don’t like doing.

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

theyre a prettier sounding single coil. by pretty, i mean not as upper mid aggressive like a humcancelling j or a mtd is. more upper air presence in the highs rather than cutting high mids/low highs. they lose a lot of single coil grind. carey considers them more dynamic. to me theyre kind of single coils with out the benefits of single coils. 60 cycle hum, but no cut.

for reference, the comparison was done between two nordy 70's vj5s in his shop. one with 70's wind singles (which are already less grindy and upper air bright than his 60's set) and the other one had big singles. i greatly preferred the one with standard j's.

3. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    If you are considering a build, just call the shop and talk with the guys there. Tell them your concerns and let them know exactly what kind of tone you are after. They will recommend the right pick up for you.

4. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad