1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Nordy Big Splits on a Sadowsky Modern 5-24

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jakeahearts, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jakeahearts

Jakeahearts Supporting Member

I'm looking for more of a jazz sound from my Sadowsky so I am thinking about installing Nordy Big Splits (or Big Singles) on my
    M5-24. The Sadowsky pups are 4 x 1 1/2" but the Nordys are 4.27 x 1.27". Of course, the width is no problem but the length is about a 1/4" too big. Does anyone know if they fit without changing the route?

Any pointers for this conversion would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
    Eddy

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Nordy will make them in the same size as the Sadowsky (which are EMG 40 size). You can order through bestbassgear.com, too.
    The Big Splits are the best sounding, super-jazzy pickups I've ever had and I love them.
    The pickup placement with the M5-24 will keep it from sounding 100% Jazz... but it'll get you closer and I bet they'll sound amazing.

3. Jakeahearts

Good to know that Nordy will do a custom size... I assume the Sadowsky preamp will work fine with the Big Splits.
    Thanks

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    The pre will definitely work. And the 40 size option isn't really uncommon for Nordstrand. I see them a lot on TB'ers basses. You just have to let them know the spacing of the strings over the center of each pickup (the width from the B to the G string). That way, they'll line up perfectly.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stretchcat

stretchcat

Having done this modification once myself, I didn't feel like the Big-Splits gave the bass more of a jazz bass sound at all (both pickups on). It does, however, take some of the modern edge off. I really like the Big-Split bridge pickup for burpy jazz fusion stuff. When I needed a "Fender-vibe" for that bass I just favored the neck pickup for a "faux-P sound", but I actually prefered the stock pickups over the Nords for that application.

It is an easy mod since the EMG 40 style will pop right in and sound great with the pre.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

My opinion is the big singles. Call Nordstrand and ask for opinions. They do this stuff all the time. Its worth the call.

8. Jakeahearts

I talked with the Chris at BestBassGear and decided to go for the Big Splits. It will be 4-6 weeks before I get them :(
    I'll post my thoughts on the result.

9. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Let us know what you think. I put big singles in my metro 5/24 last summer, and have not looked back since.

10. Jakeahearts

It will be a while... they said it's taking about 10 weeks for Nordstrand to deliver now.

11. jeffmensch

jeffmensch Supporting Member Supporting Member

I emailed Chris at Bestbassgear as well and the lead time he gave me was 5-7 weeks. These will be Big Splits in a P2 case (4.27" X 1.27") to replace the Bartonlini Mk1s on a Ibanez SR900FM 4-string. I'm going to go bonkers waiting for them to show up. :hyper:

Jeff

12. Jakeahearts

Yeah, that's what he said initially then the next day, another guy added 4 weeks to it. Mine is a custom case so it's a little longer wait I guess.

13. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Any update? I think it will be worth the wait. Your bass will be a bit brighter, yet warmer in a vintage sort of way. The Big Splits don't sound quite as "modern", they're just big and full sounding with good bite. Plus, they seem to blend better and be a bit louder overall.

14. Jakeahearts

The big splits are here. I'm hoping I'll have time tomorrow to install them. Looks pretty strait forward. Stay tuned.

15. DaveAceofBass

Media:
    Groovy. I had my tech reverse the blend pot because I didn't care for how Sadowsky's is backwards from everyone else's! Let me know how you like them. They will sound very different and may take some getting used to...but give them some time. I'm sure you'll love them!

16. Jakeahearts

They are Wonderful!! Took only an hour to do. The hardest part was removing the wires for the sadowsky pups. I did it by removing the heat shrink tubing at the end the wire. But there's no comparison in the sound. There's more bass and treble (guess that's more dynamic range, huh). Here's some pics:
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363644342.204263.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363644370.154071.jpg

Also, Dave yeah I meant to to switch the pan so it be like my other basses but I forgot...

17. DaveAceofBass

Media:
    Glad you like them! I scored mine second hand from RodneyRat. My tech put them in...I'm not handy with that sort of thing. We should start a Big Splits club, or a Sadowsky modern with big splits club!

18. stretchcat

stretchcat

Those are the pickups I used for my old M5-24. I sold them to Rodney after trading the bass. Glad that they found a good home!

19. DaveAceofBass

Media:
    Dang...would've never thought I was the third owner. I never mentioned to Rodney that my spacing was 18mm, but it seems like they were made for that. My tech checked the reading and they were still plenty hot when I got them. Love them, they're staying!

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I hope they work out for you. I put a set in my Lakland 55-01 and the results were horrible. Way high output and over the top mids! I replaced them with Bartolini MK5CBC's.

21. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    All the Nordstrand pickups are fairly high output, but not to a point to be a problem, not much more than a standard J or P (respectively). Of course if compared to Bartolini, which are very low output…. :smug:

M