Not bringing a backup finally bit me in the rear

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jamestown94west, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

Saturday I had an audition with the 135th Army rock band. Used all my own gear, except for their amp. I was sounding good, playing good, the audition went great. We played for three hours with no break, no sweat. That was in the afternoon. 4 hours after I left the armory, I had to be at load in for a gig that night. All my gear was carefully packed as always, and had a gentle ride in the van a few miles downtown to the club. I set up for sound check, and things are wrong. I figure out the preamp battery in my bass died. No biggie, I swap it out real quick. I.try to soundcheck, still no sound coming out of my amp. I diagnose a bad cable. All is fine. We take 5, and come back to sound check. Bass isn't working again. This time, its the output jack. Its loose, and about to fall out of the bass. Its never come loose before, and wasn't loose at the army audition. I tighten it up, check everything over several.times, soundcheck with no issues, and all is well. I go on stage later, none of my gear has been touched since sound check. Bass is dead. I start to panic. I fiddle with the jack and the cable, and the best I can do is get the bass to work intermittently. We keep getting farther into our set, and I keep looking around in a haze of anger and frustration for the bassist of the other band. I was hoping to get his attention to see if I could borrow his bass. He's not close enough to the stage for me to signal to him. Crap. I get thru the gig, didn't pay a single song all the way thru. Next band gets on stage, bassist is left handed, so I let him off the hook lol.I don't know how, but I got asked for an autograph before the night was over. Anyway, I've always wanted to carry a spare bass,but they're cumbersome. I'm definitely bringing a spare from now on.
  2. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Aw that sucks man! But I'm betting "Lesson Learned" ;) I had that same problem on my second ever gig and have brought a spare for the last 15yrs,which ironically I haven't needed yet..but just in case :D
  3. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Thats exactly why I always carry a backup. The only time I didn't carry a spare was the night I finally had a string break.Had to play 2 sets without an A string on a Bongo 5. Not fun.
  4. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I've never needed one playing since 1968
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AndreBas

AndreBas

In order to change a broken string some folks carry a second bass to all of their gigs? What about replacement strings_
  7. Joedog

Joedog

A beat up $75 Squier can be worth it's weight in gold!
  8. carl h.

carl h.

Bet this gave you an awesome bass face! Pissed off and looking for someone who isn't paying attention...
  9. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    What he said! :cool:
  10. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I always do now. Not because of a bad experience, but because its better to be safe than sorry. It's also nice to have a choice just in case you're halfway through the gig and just not liking the bass you're playing for some reason.

I drive my gear to the venue anyway, and there's room for an extra bass. If I was a regular commuter, I'd get on of those double gig bags that MONO or someone makes.
  11. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I was thinking about that too...

I have used my trusty, all passive franken jazz for a long time, and its never failed me. I hang my basses on a wall, and my jazz had a little back bow causing an intonation issue from someone leaving the front door open all night during an ice storm...anyway, I decided to take my Warwick Corvette Rockbass, since I've not played it very much. It's always been fine the few times I've used it, and I've gigged with it before, so I saw no reason to worry.
    I was pretty upset about the gig. On Sunday, my ever loving and supportive fiance, who was with me all day, at the audition and the gig, made the comment that I should be glad the bass broke at the gig and not at the audition. She has a way of putting things into perspective!
  12. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

This is me, furious, desperately looking at our keytarist, and singer/guitarist. What you can't see is me standing on the cable to pull it tight so it'll ground and make sound.

Attached Files:

13. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

Ive wanted a mono dual gig bag for some time, but they're cost prohibitive. I need to just buck up and get one. I can probably talk the old lady into helping me save for one since she was there to witness the train wreck.
  14. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

A spare bass is a bit like a life insurance.
    You rarely need it but the day you do you really glad to be covered.
  15. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

I used to carry a backup, but now I make sure my instrument is in good repair, and carry extra strings. My fender mark hoppus signature has only a volume and a jack in the pick guard, which I consider to be very reliable, as long as you don't let it fall through (which isn't the end of the world if you carry a screwdriver). If the pot starts to mess up, I can replace it myself easily. Barring a disaster, I feel okay.

I don't drive so being able to consolidate a medium board, a small combo, accessories, and a bass is important. If I had a car, I would leave a beater bass in the back.
  16. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

Sorry, i just don't get it. An extra bass, strings, batteries, & cords are essential to me. All the above is the minimum too not to mention tools, tape, wire ties, etc. Man, i drive a corolla and can get all that including my stack in there. Small price to pay for piece of mind.
  17. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

I've done that before, lol.
  18. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I used to dislike it because of the hassle, but I picked up a Mono dual bass gig bag a while ago and now I carry two anywhere I go. It's peace of mind if nothing else.
  19. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Driving a corolla is a luxury to some of us. I bring batteries, tools, etc to every gig, but I just can't bring two basses. That's why I got a Markbass cmd121 that weighs under 30lbs
  20. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

When I played for Holland America Cruise Lines, I had two instruments, but duh, you're away from a music shop for months on end and playing hours a day everyday. I probably should have had three.
  21. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    As they say in the investment ads, 'Past results are not a prediction of future performance'.

The first time you need your backup is never foreseeable. I gigged without one for years and never needed one. I was both foolish and lucky.

It doesn't even need to be a great bass, but it does have to be SOMETHING.

Sorry to hear about your stroll through Hell.