Not clipping at max gain

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Atazot, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Atazot

Atazot

Hello.

Have a SWR Bass 350.
    When use passive bass it's normal (clip at 1/2 or 3/4 of gain, depends of attack).
    But when use Peavey Cirrus with 18V electronics, amp not clipping even at max gain (both active/passive and active inputs).Start this only if add some mid or hi on bass EQ. Battery in bass are new.
    It's normal or not?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Your active bass probably just doesn't have enough output to clip it.

If that's your goal you definitely don't want to be using the active input.
  3. Atazot

Atazot

So this low output power of pickups is normal for Cirrus?
    Even 18V preamp not providing hi-gain output?
  4. Mugre

Mugre

there might be a trimpot or switch to control the output gain for the Cirrus. You would find it in the electronics cavity.

An 18v preamp is designed to prevent the pre-amp from clipping. It doesn't necessarily set the the gain of output. It may be that Peavey sets it fairly low so the bass plays nicely with amp inputs that have no pad for active basses.

The pre-amp may also have a problem.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Doesn't sound right to me. I have one Cirrus now and have had one other. Output should be at least as hot as any passive bass.
  7. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Also, if you decide you need to replace the preamp, you can get a new Peavey Custom Shop preamp (which may or may not be what you already have in your Cirrus) directly from Peavey for about $55.

Peavey Parts: (877) 732-8391

The regular Cirrus preamp has a 3 band EQ. The Custom Shop preamp (aka the Millennium preamp) has 3 band plus a Mid frequency sweep. I.e. on the CS preamp, the Mid control is a stacked pot with the bottom knob allowing you to select the center frequency of the Mid boost/cut. It has a range from 200 Hz to 2000 Hz. The top knob (on the Mid control) is the Mid boost/cut.

If you don't have a CS preamp now, and you change to one, you will at least need to also order new knobs for that mid pot. You might want to also order new knobs for the other 4 pots, just so they all match.
  8. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    After reading this I thought the Peavey CS preamp might be a less expensive alternative to the EMG BQS. So I contacted Peavey about buying one for installation in a non-Peavey instrument.

They will only sell them as replacement parts for American made Cirrus basses.

Very quick and courteous reply.