Not happy with the used Peavey Fury I bought

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FJBass82, Mar 15, 2014.

1. FJBass82

FJBass82

I found a used black Peavey Fury on CL the other day for $75.00. Read all kinds of positive comments here in the forums about these basses, about their P-like tone, etc. So I decided to spring for it, being so inexpensive as it was.

I met the seller on a discount store parking lot. Gave her the money (it was her ex's bass; he left it behind and wasn't coming back), and briefly looked it over. Seemed to be in pretty decent shape. It had a few scratches, and some very small areas of missing paint on the near-bottom side. And she gave me a gig bag with it.

Took it home, plugged it in and the tone pot is scratchy. I wasn't too worried about that, since it either needs cleaning or replaced, which isn't too expensive. There is a very small chunk of wood missing out of the fretboard on the 13th fret but does not hinder playing it. But the strings are too close to the pickups and feels uncomfortable to play.

The tone is awesome, though!

But....it just has a cheap feel to it, compared to my two other basses, a Fender MIM Standard Jazz Bass and a Yamaha BB300. I realize that the Peavey Fury is an "entry level" bass guitar, and, yes, it's not going to compare to a more expensive MIM Standard J Bass, IMHO.

Since the strings are too close to the pickups it probably just needs to be set up properly, I'm guessing, and this is something I'm not comfortable doing myself. Or is this just the way the bass is since it's so cheap?

Should I spend the money for a good set up and pot replacement (if it needs to be replaced and not just cleaned) or is it not worth it?

2. bassbrad

bassbrad

Spend the money for the set up and repairs, you will be pleased.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1

4. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I would also set the bass up. I bought mine in mint condition for $140 and it is the best playing bass I own out of 7.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

I also agree. It's my experience that most Fury's (Furies?) are at least the equal of any VM or Classic Vibe Squier. In their day, they sold for the same amount as the Squiers. Certainly an undamaged bass is worthy of a professional setup if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. The results will be worth every penny, if the "pro" knows what he's doing.

Don't let the fact that you got it cheaply make you think this is a "cheap" bass. Peavey took great pride in offering "affordable quality instruments for working musicians" since they built their first guitar and bass. Many people today are rediscovering that a lot of 80s and 90s basses that were considered "entry level" just because of price are very much worth owning and playing today, because the resale market on them is astonishingly low.

These are/were some of the best-kept secrets in the world of bass guitars. Good luck, and enjoy your new Fury!

7. FJBass82

FJBass82

OK, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I was thinking of selling the bass on CL, but since I've received some good advice, I'll follow through with it and see how the bass comes out after set up and repairs. That won't be until early next week. I'll let you know the results.

Should I try to fill in the small missing chunk on the fretboard with some wood filler or leave that up to the tech? Or leave it alone? I'd really like to have that fixed, for aesthetics especially.

8. bass335

bass335

I purchased a used Fury about 6 months ago. After a paint job and set up it has become my main gigging bass. Great tone, lighter than my more expensive basses and I don't have to worry too much about it getting dinged or dirty. I'm glad I didn't let the price make up my mind about this bass instead of my ears.

9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

One thing you didn't state...is it the USA Fury (maple fretboard only and should say made in USA on the headstock) or asian made. USA Fury is very well made and can/should be able to be setup to your liking and sound/play well. I can't speak for the later asian models.

10. eldoryder

FJBass-

I would ask the tech for an estimate on repairing the fretboard. If it's too high, hang out in the "Classifieds" here at TB or ask around in the "Peavey Club" to see if anyone is selling a good used neck for your model Fury. They very often come up for sale. Someone else will have to chime in on prices, as I've not been keeping up with them lately. If it's playable otherwise, then you can afford to take some time to deal with that issue. Again, just my .02.

11. eldoryder

+1 on the "USA-made". I was assuming that you had a "vintage" USA-made Fury from the 80s or early 90s.

12. fbny71

fbny71

I got mine for a similar price. Spent some time on her, changed tuners, bridge, string tree and a few other things...for aesthetic reasons only mind you. Set her up and wow, I'll never part with this one and I'm looking for another. If somebody buys my Yamaha SBV500 which is quite a bit rarer bird which sounds and plays great with a faster neck, I'll pick up one of the two or three Fury's currently in the classified. Even though the neck on the Yamaha is to die for comfortable, I just like the Fury better overall. I guess it's more my style.

Spend even $200 bucks upgrading what you want to and setting up and you will have a P bass that rivals some of the best Fenders. Remember it is an American made bass after all with a great P bass sound.

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You bought a bass with "awesome" tone for $75 and you're complaining??

:rollno:

14. FJBass82

FJBass82

Yes, it is a USA-made Fury. Actually says "Crafted in the U.S.A." on the front of the headstock beneath the Peavey logo. Sorry!

smcd, I'm only complaining because the strings are too close to the pickups, is a little uncomfortable at this point playing it, and I feel it needs a good set up to remedy that situation.

At this point I don't feel that the tuners, bridge, or string tree need replacing. Those items are in very good/great shape.

And....I actually paid $80.00 for it, because the gal selling it didn't have $5.00 in change, and I had four 20 dollar bills to give her, expecting $5 back, so I told her to keep the 80 bucks.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You are going to pay somebody at least $25 to set up a $75 bass? This is a cheap bass, now is the perfect time to learn to do setups! I recommend Jerzy Drozd's setup guide to all my students. Highly informative.

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

http://www.chicagobassdoctor.com/setup.html

I like these set up videos the best.

There's nothing cheap about a USA Peavey, so I think a good set up might be all you need to have a really great bass.

Have fun with it!

17. FJBass82

FJBass82

Yes, I'm going to spend $25 to set up an $80 bass. Why? Because I'd rather have it done right (the first time) by someone who has experience and knows more about this stuff than I do. I can watch the videos from the link posted but it doesn't make me an expert.

Besides, we've all seen the guy (or we've been "that" guy!) who makes ten trips to the hardware store because he keeps messing up on a project. I don't want to be that guy when it comes to my basses.

Besides, just because my bass cost $80 doesn't mean it isn't worth more than that!:smug:

18. eldoryder

After it's set up right, cleaned up, playing great and looking great after a fret polish and body shine, you'll be thinking that you paid $25.00 to set up a $500.00 bass!

19. Waldo19

Waldo19

Based off of my Fury experience, your gonna love it when its all set up. They are the most cost effective way to get a quality P-bass with a Jazz style neck. They are also really light. Mine has quickly become my gigging bass of choice. The MIM Jazz still is my preferred tone, but the Peavey puts up one hell of a fight.

20. FJBass82

FJBass82

eldoryder, thanks! That's what I'm hoping for!:D

21. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

I'd second the "time to learn", DIY approach. It's mysterious the first time you do it, but it isn't rocket science. You'll learn a lot. If you get in trouble, you can always punt it to the tech guy.

Take the bass with you to the hardware store if need be, but you probably just need a set of allen wrenches both standard and metric, which are handy to have around anyway. A couple good screw drivers, some 0000 steel wool, a bit of quality polish, buff rags.

Spend some dough on new strings, maybe spring for some TI jazz flats. Then you can say your strings cost more than the bass. And you get the killer P sound.

$25 for a set up, but only if you get to watch and he walks you through it.