1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Not one ounce of musical talent and this gets 57 Million You Tube views

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Richland123, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Not one ounce of musical talent and this gets 57 Million You Tube views

2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

So I guess this is your video, then? ;)

3. Timmah

Timmah

Clicked link, saw title, closed browser.

4. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

The other day I was looking at the Billboard charts to see what was going on in the world of pop music. I hardly knew any of the songs so I previewed a bunch of them (this "song" was amongst them). It's sad to see the industry in such a desperate state.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It's funny my Grandparents hated the Beatles,Stones and any other rock group of the fifties and sixties called them if I remember correctly radical dope heads and said they were ruining the country this video has almost 57 million hits somebody must be enjoying these songs? and talent is so subjective and I wouldn't want to get into an internet fight with these young people over the subject because they have much quicker fingers :)

8. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

That's always the argument, isn't it. But at a certain point you have to step back and accept that some stuff is just garbage. Talent isn't that subjective. And it's not just about talent. It might not have taken a whole lot of talent to produce early acid-house tracks, but that wasn't the point. The point was that the music was fresh. There was some originality in the music and a degree of envelope-pushing. None of that is in evidence with a track such as the one in question. I don't have a problem with new music. I have a problem with bland, formulaic pap. Well, sometimes I like it but that's another story... :D

9. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i doubt people are viewing that just to listen to the music. i don't think you will find any 'lyric' videos for that one.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

He clearly has some "ounce" of musical talent... While he might not be a musician he at least has an ear for music. Not all DJs do not know how to play an instrument though.

11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

57 million hits = how many sales?

One gets what they pay for... ;)

12. scatbass

scatbass

It's a common misconception that "musical talent" is directly correlated to "entertainment value".
    One can learn the difference, accept it, and use it to your benefit...or one can bitch that the masses have horrible taste in music.
    I play in a popular local band because it is an entertaining band that gets a lot of fun gigs.
    I play in a side project, often in someones basement or at open mics, because it is musically stimulating.

Learn the difference and embrace it. Oh, and SMILE!!!
    :)

13. jstar

jstar

You get paid a ton if your youtube video get 57M hits.

So true. And if you think that "musical talent" is the only thing that matters in music, then you really don't understand music at all. I'm not even trying to be rude, that's an indisputable fact.

14. dalkowski

dalkowski

Every day I pray that my teenage sons won't become these people.

I lasted about a minute, then reached for a highly effective antidote:

15. gmjhowe

gmjhowe

Worry less about other people.

Enjoy what you enjoy.

16. viper4000

viper4000

I'm not sure the folks listening to this are worried about the melody structure or whether the correct chord tones are used. They're looking for a song with a good bass beat and a drop. The drop in this one is pretty weak, but it is there and it does build tension.

The lyrics seem a little satirical to me. Almost veiled social commentary about how childish folks are getting with mobile tech. But I'm getting close to being an old fart, so I don't know if this DJ is making that statement or not.

Is it vanilla? Yup. Would I dance to it in a club with a dance floor full of ladies? Yup.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Whoever produced the video is where the talent is. The video is pretty decent. Club music sounds like standard stock for rent stuff.

18. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

Generic club music is popular, better alert the internet!

19. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

I read the thread and decided NOT to click on the link, and thereby further increasing the view count on what I'm sure is not my cup of tea. No wonder it has 57 million views, because people keep linking to it. :eyebrow:

20. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

That's all well and good, but you can't deny that if people stopped producing vapid pop music, people would (eventually) stop listening to it.

Change starts with the individual.

21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I agree with you but I wonder what Beethoven,Chopin or Mozart would say about music from the Beatles,Stones,Beach Boys or Led Zeppelin? I think they would cringe and probably call it absolute garbage.I think the beauty of music for me is that it can be anything there are no limits or restrictions no race or religion and we all are free to dislike or like whatever we want there is no such thing as bad music just music we don't prefer.