1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Not playing great without a drummer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Mar 8, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Does anyone else seem like they can't play to their full potential without a drummer? It seems like when I'm jamming with a guitarist and there is no drummer sometimes I'm stuck thinking "what should I do next." Sometimes I even flat out miss notes. I don't sound like a bass noob or anything but I can definitely feel and hear the difference when this does happen and I leave feeling a little insecure about my skills. But when there is a drummer, especially a really good one, everything just flows out. I don't even have to think about what I will do next. Rarely will I miss a note or make a mistake and when I do I am able to cover it up really quickly.

2. JimK

JimK

...I would prefer "jamming" with a drummer vs. anyone other instrument. The times when the drummer misses rehearsal/practice...I am usually bummed.

3. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

I think every instrument should be able to hold their own

So it will be that much stronger when instruments are brought together

But sometimes people hide out or go under the radar in a band set up and it a comes unstuck when the dominant player is not there

It's like if you are at a gig and if the drums dropped out unexpectedly could you still hold it together

If you can't and recognise this then no worries, it just becomes something to work on and improve...

rossa

4. Milk

Milk

I used to start songs just on bass or guitar and recently i've realised i often had better ideas if i bothered starting with a good beat on Superior Drummer. It does help. Also i realise it changes my rhythm. I mean, when there's no beat i have a tendency to write things with a very steady picking. With a beat there already it kinda frees me of that. I don't have to keep my own beat...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. avvie

avvie

It's just not fun without a beat to hold the groove together. Playing without a drummer forces me to think about what I play in regards to how it's going to affect the guitarist's timing...too much thinking, not enough feeling.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Ed Fuqua's quote on this is from Chet Baker. "It takes a great drummer to be better than no drummer".

I agree with Jbassrockboy. Everyone should be able to stand on their own. It's nice to have a great drummer, but if you NEED to have one, you should start reconsidering your time.

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

You don't NEED a drummer to sound good or play well. You just think you do. Work on your time and rhythm, play with confidence and everything will work out fine. I'd much prefer to NOT have a bad or mediocre drummer. And we've played lots gigs without drummer - and the music moved just fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uc5fpt3k0Vk

9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I enjoy playing without a drummer. It makes me concentrate more, since I get away with less.

10. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Absolutely. I hate playing without a drummer. Can't write a single damn riff unless I can feel the beat.

11. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I enjoy playing with a good drummer, but I'd rather play with no drummer than a bad or mediocre drummer.
    I also don't at all mind playing without a drummer.

12. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

A lot of my gigs are just duo gigs without drums, it's just a different mindset.

13. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I've always thought it's important to be able to groove on your own. As much as I love playing with a good drummer, it's fun without, as well.

14. avvie

avvie

There's been a drummer change in one of the bands I play in and holy hell is it difficult to jam with this guy! Aging mediocre rock drummer with no groove.

15. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, sometimes when drummers get a little older, the first thing to go is the kick.;)

16. interp

interp Gold Supporting Member

Rhythm and time is an integral component of playing music, whatever the instrument is. If you are highly uncomfortable with playing without a drummer, or cannot do it all, that means you've neglected this component of your playing.

It should be a wake up call.

17. sound of bass

sound of bass

Better groove with a drummer. Plus I simply enjoy hearing drums, and "feeling" them thru the floor.

18. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

If you want to really test it, record you and the guitarist playing on a song that would normally require drums, and listen back to the isolated bass. You and the guitarist should be so tight, that you can add the drum tracks later, without being able to notice any fluctuation in time. Any bassist that can't do such a miracle sober or not (heh heh), needs to tighten up.

I didn't learn this way. I learned to play to the drums and the pulse. Some music has no pulse, so enthusiasm is limited at times. Playing to a song that flows without drums to begin with is one thing, but learning the groove a$$-backwards isn't productive. I keep hearing all these pro "bass only" guitar hero tracks on youtube. None, and I mean none of them have good time all alone.

19. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

What about bass and drums just jamming for fun? I've kept going after the drums dropped out, and except for the drummer looking at me like he wanted to kill me, it's not entertaining in the least bit. If the drummer stops, the rest of the musicians should follow.

20. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Because of my play style I would rather play with a drummer than anyone else but Im used to playing without them. Drummers usually love playing with me because I keep the beat in my playing with accented notes. Usually playing with a drummer makes me feel really good and smiley because I can go to that next level as well as vet showered with praise :cool:

If no drummer, no youtube, no drum machine.... grt a delay pedal. You can get so creative with those things and it kinda feels like playing with a full band sometimes when you lose yourself in it.

21. pedroims

pedroims