1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Not ready for a 5er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Torkk, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Torkk

Torkk

So, I picked up a Squire deluxe 5 active. Great sounding I love it, but Im no where near ready for a 5er. Im basically thinking that most if not all squire basses are great. What model would be give the same sound as the 5 active in a 4?
  2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Umm, the 4 string version of the same bass?
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

4. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Why you are not ready for a 5?
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

How could you be ready for a 4 and not a 5???
  6. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Why give up so easily?
  7. Hues

Hues

Don't give up.

Or only use the B string as the world's longest thumb rest.
  8. Torkk

Torkk

cause i suck
  9. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

speaking from a 4 string players perspective the only drawback I can see is how it can obscure your fretboard vision to some degree. At least that happens when I play my friends 5 string. Either way I dont see having that extra string as any real obstruction or drawback. But stick with whats comfortable I guess.
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Was playing a four string for like 30 years before I got my first 5 string- I'd have to say it wasn't an instant switch, but took a little bit of time to get used to it. Not much mind you, but had to remember the B string wasn't the E string. lol. Not hard though and now I use both 4 and 5 and have no problems switching back and forth between the two. That being said, finding the right 5 string I like took longer- floppy B strings, too wide of a neck, too narrow string spacing- just found the right one that's perfect for me. The Sterling Sub Ray 35.
  11. dudelove

dudelove

come on there is long way to the top, keep pratice and move on
  12. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

I switched to a 5 in 2001 and never looked back. I did a lot of visualization techniques before I started; remembering that the bottom four strings (on a 5er) are the same as a standard 4-string (unless you employ dis-conventional tuning). Didn't use the low B quite a lot but eventually learned to sneak it in like a thief in the night much more often.

And I challenge you: if you say you "suck" now...you won't be any worse on a 5er.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

lol... exactly what I did too.. would sneak in using the low B to wake people up.
  14. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

I just recently bought my bass. I had NO intention of buying a 5er. I just went to the store and tried every bass. My current 5 string was the bass I eneded up comparing all other basses to and then I fell in love with it.

Every 5 string bass I played before felt very clunky. I felt like I was trying to make music with a giant log. For some reason my bass even though it is a 35" scale with a huge body is very easy for me to play.

As to actually making use of the 5th string... that took awhile. I had to start relearning how I thought about the fretboard. Now though.... I feel very limited when I pick up 4 string.
  15. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

So the moral of the story is play what feels the best to you, I didn't want a 5er becuase I thought it wouldn't feel good but I was surprised.
  16. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Just because you have a low B doesn't mean you have to integrate it into your playing.
    Why ruin a good thing?
    You like the sound, just ignore the extra string. Use it as a thumb rest if it's in your way.

I've only ever owned a five, and believe me I don't use it very much. The b string, that is.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

You won't suck any more on a 5 than a 4.

But here is some advice ... play the bass that you like.
  18. joe vegas

joe vegas

Why not use that great extra range?
    All basses should at least 5 strings. I vote for trying to incorporate it
    into your playing. Good luck!
  19. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

For me this is the biggest advantage... if you like to play your root notes on the low e string you now always have a lower 5th at your disposal. That is always handy.
  20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Common sense, it's a killer, ain't it?