Not sure what to do and need some opinions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist Jay, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Disclosures:
    Sales Representative for Zane Guitars.
    So back in 2010 I switched over to using Music Man basses exclusively. I love them. Since 93' though I used Ibanez Soundgear basses. I still have a 94' and a 95' SR 500 as well as a 2010 that is being sold right now. For the last year, I have been going back and forth with what to do with my 2 older Soundgear basses. Do I keep them for sentimental purposes even though they are not played anymore or do I sell them? If I did decide to sell them, I am also not sure what I could get for them? Each one would include a hardhsell case, straps and straplocks. Both basses work great and are in at least and 8.5 out of 10 condition and have never had any issues. So if you were in my position, what would you do? Also, how much would you try selling each bass for with hardshell case and other things mentioned?
    Thanks,
    Jay
  2. Sparty

Sparty

To me if you don't use them then move them on, I've always treated my basses like that. At the end of the day They were designed to be played not stuck in a case in a closet so i would give them their freedom and let someone else enjoy them and use them as they were made for.. IMHO two guitars is plenty- 1 main+1 back up.. Unless you want to start a collection...
    As for pricing search around eBay see what they are going for and use that as a guide. The extra funds made could be put back into improving your own set up..
    I've just done the opposite to you sold my musicman and bought a sr600. (Medical reasons- not mental reason) but i do really like my sr600. ;0)
  3. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

If you don't love them and play them regularly then my feeling is move them. Use the cash for better purposes.
  4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

I would keep one sr500..... the one you like the best out of the three and ditch the other two. A 94-95 sr500 sells for around $200 to $250.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't see the point of keeping basses you are not going to play, or aren't excited to put in your hands. Although you would be lucky to get $600 for both of them, I would start asking $400 a piece but you would be holding them for a while if you expected to get that. SR500's are extremely common on the used market, you can replace them quite easily.
  6. sobie18

sobie18

I'd keep them. That's me, though.

On a flip side, if you do decide to sell, no crying and whining about how you regret selling your basses...
  7. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Disclosures:
    Sales Representative for Zane Guitars.
    Thank you all for your replies. I figured if I did sell them, I would want at least $350.00-$400.00 per bass considering they are also coming with hardshell casses, straps and straplocks. I do still like these basses but because I play my Music Man basses all the time, they simply don't get played a whole lot. Also, from 1994-2010, these were the basses I used in all of the work that I have done in the Christian music industry so the sentimental value is really there. I guess I will simply have to mull it over for a bit and then decide what to do.
  8. Proraptor

Proraptor

You wont get over 350 for each of them, i see them all day long on craigslist for 200 to 250. With that said id probably still sell them if you arent playing them