Not sure where to ask this

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by gsprice696, Feb 7, 2014.

1. gsprice696

gsprice696

Hey everyone I'm new to the bass guitar and know very little about them, I haven't even purchased one yet but I intend on it very soon. I'm in the army and currently stationed in South Korea so I don't exactly have the ability to just head down to the local Guitar Center to check any out so I'm hoping you all can give me some advice. I've been looking and found 2 beginner bass packs that look great but I can't find any reviews which makes me leary. The first is the Epiphone Tobias to y performance pack. I've head the amp that comes with it is great but I've heard nothing about the bass. Second is the Ibenez Jumpstart pack which the bass looks really nice but one again, no reviews. So if anyone knows anything about these could u give me some info please? Thanks in advance!

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

I too had trouble pulling up a review.....

IMO - all starter kits are in competition with each other and no one builds junk and stays in business. Ibanez is a good name and IMO the kit will do anything you ask of it. Years down the road you may ask something of it that it can not do, but, right now it will play anything you know how to do.

Normally the amp is OK for practicing, however will be drowned out by the other instruments in a gig situation. One of these days you will want to upgrade to 150 + watts, but, for now just go with the kit.

I use a Peavey Max 15B amp ($109 US) for practicing and then in a small room gig we do. That is 15 watts of power and in a small room is OK, not great, but, OK. It is small, light and does not take up a lot of room. One feature I like about it is the built in tuner, normally not found on amps of this price range.

Go get your kit and have fun. Korea this time of the year, burrrrrr....

Thank you for your service.

3. gsprice696

gsprice696

Thanks man I appreciate the advice!

4. figginalarmguy

figginalarmguy

Have tried the Toby bass and found it to be unbalanced for me. Starter kits are what they are, put together so a cost effective way for kids so that if they give it up not a huge lose of money.
    Try a small shop when u get home and ask about used and if they buy back as u upgrade
    Thanks for your service

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gsprice696

gsprice696

Thank you very much for the info and THANK YOU for supporting troops!
    Since I posted this initial post I've decided on a Sterling SUB Ray4. I've heard nothing but great reviews on them and after hours and hours of research it's the one that appeals to me most. Thanks again though!