1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Not to impressed with Bootsy's solo career

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tupac, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

Bootsy as a member of Parliament/Funkadelic is easily in my top 5 favorite bassists. Night of the Thumpasaurus Peoples, Cholly, The outro of Funkentelechy, Rumpofsteelskin, Sir Nose, Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication... and more. Just incredible bassline after another. When I checked out his solo career recently I was expecting a similar quality. But maybe the lack of inspiration from the other talented members of Pfunk put him off. All this stuff is just so lame as far as bass work goes, and everything else is bad too for that matter. It's mostly the same mundane, bubble gum pop esque beat going on for 5 minutes.

Anyone want to agree/convince me otherwise?

2. 10cc

10cc

I'm with ya. After I listened to everything Funkadelic and Parliment put out I started checking out all of the members other projects and thought the same thing about Bootsy. Motor Booty Affair is about a complete album as you can get. I'm more fan of the Funkadelic thing myself. Standing on the verge of getting it on is one sick record! I also like the bass groove in Hardcore Jollies. P Funk is one of my top five all time favs for sure. My friend was in the horn section on tour with them for a few tours whenever they hit the ATL he usually gets the call and can be found on-stage with all those fools. I also had a great opportunity back around 1999, we opened up for Bernie it was great! He said some wise zen like **** to me that stuck with me since. Sorry for the rant I'm just a huge fan of the ONE!

"If you ain't gonna get it on, take your dead ass home!"

3. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Supporting Member

Are you including Bootsy's Rubber Band in this? I noticed you didn't mention "Stretchin' Out," "Ahh...The Name Is Bootsy, Baby!" or "Bootsy? Player Of The Year."

4. avvie

avvie

Confession:

I use Bootsy avatars, went as Bootsy for Halloween (won a contest!) have a Bootsy "Bass Player" magazine cover on my wall and have glittery spangles on my primary bass.

I really don't care for his playing much at all since he didn't have to work for it any more. To me he's more of a character than a musician. Yeah, I get that he was an enormous part of the James brown sound and P-Funk's over-the-top style but he mostly seems to just be mailing it in. And his product demos are just plain awful...you'd think that he had no idea how his pedals worked.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21

I'm not really impressed with your rap career, I'm just sayin....

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Bootsy would proably agree with you also, Tupac. while watching Bootsy Collins:UNSUNG, he mentions how the pressure of running his own act killed his creative vibe or something like that. he also was pressured into some of that popcorn music. :(

but yeah,... the early stuff is better 90% of the time with any artist, IMO.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Well, it's a living, I'd take his money and carreer over my day job and my music hobby any time. ;)

EDIT: And his playing skills as well.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

No kidding I love his solo stuff to each his own.

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I totally agree to the point where his solo work for me, borders on unlistenable. Gimme the James Brown and P-funk Bootsy any day. Some of the tastiest bass work in history! Still gets props from me regardless.

11. Maz

Maz

I'll go one further; I don't like most of his basslines with funkadelic. He was delicious in the JB's though.

12. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

I remember a show in Ithaca Bootsy did in the 90s (w/ his Rubber Band maybe?) and it was a rip off. He was so drunk that he only played a few tunes and the band played the rest of the show without him. He'd come wondering on trying to be hip then play something terrible. Painful...

13. 10cc

10cc

The last bass line I heard Bootsy hit that had a descent groove was groove is in the heart by Deee-Lite.

14. Maz

Maz

I hate to have to tell you this, but the "groove is in the heart" bassline was a sample from a herbie hancock song. Bootsie may have played it live, but it wasn't his bassline. The way I understand it, Bootsy was brought in by the record label to make Dee-Lite seem more interesting.

15. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

YES! those 3 albums are enough for me to be ok with his not so exciting stuff. but then i love albums such as This Boot Was Made For Fonkin, the hardware album, & zillatron.

16. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

"The One Giveth, the Count Taketh Away" is probably his best "solo" LP... and it was a long time ago.

17. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

Did not realize either of these little tidbits of information. Interesting.

Bootsy did spice up the video for that song.

18. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

One of my favorites of his.

Rag Poppin'

19. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

let's not forget his arm/hand injury and that awful bout with "Crack"!:(

20. Alex J

Alex J

Him and Catfish were pretty awesome on the 'Superbad' soundtrack, and that was in 2007. I think he said in an interview it felt really strange for him to go back to playing without any effects.

21. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Wiiiiiind me up ! Awesome stuff.