1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Notation vs Tablature

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RxFunk, Jan 26, 2013.

1. RxFunk

RxFunk

So, I've been trying to get more into using notation instead of tab, but I'm finding it a little difficult. I try to translate songs from tab to notation so I will hopefully be able to improve my sight reading, but some stuff isn't working so well, so I just have a quick question on how you represent some things in notation that are easily readable in tab. My main query is hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, and bends. What are the notation symbols for all of these?
  2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Hammer on and pull off are in reality "legato" playing. It is an arc starting on the first note and ending on the last note. So only the first note is hit with the plucking hand. If you pluck again during the legato passage then you start a new arc symbol.

Slide are called glissando and there is two variation. the one where you hear every notes and the one where you don't hear every notes. In both case you will put a pointing up line ( or down ) between the first note and the one you want to stop on. Then if you hear every note between them you put a legato symbol above it.

Bend you have to put an arrow that start straight then bend upward with a fraction like ¼ that mean how much bending you have to do.
  3. jabsys

jabsys

4. RxFunk

RxFunk

Okay, that clears a lot of it up for me, thanks for your quick reply as well!
  5. RxFunk

RxFunk

6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

Stick with it, the SN will support your tab reading and understanding, and your tab will support SN and reading...eventually the two merge into one and all you see and hear are notes.....that is eventually.its not one system over the other, you will develop the skill to see and hear notes from both of them.
    Its habit, develop the habit to read a bit every day and before you know it... it will be under your fingers.:)
  7. RxFunk

RxFunk

Thanks, I'm about to go practice, I just finished filing down the nut and I'm waiting for the glue to dry, then I'm gonna play:)