1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Notch filter?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by wcnewby, Dec 15, 2013.

1. wcnewby

wcnewby Supporting Member

We had a gig with the weirdest acoustics last night. The stage was at the end of a long bar, and there was about a ten inch wall coming down from the ceiling... it was more set into the end wall than being the end wall. I don't know if this was the culprit, but I had a hell of a time with my sound.

First, it ate up my middle range, so I compensated, but was never fully satisfied. Then the lows... they had a threshold if I played to hard, teeth rattling boominess, too soft and it was like I wasn't playing at all... and it was a sharp line more than a range... one or the other. I didn't think of it till this morning, but I may have been able to straighten it out with the notch filter on my Acoustic B450, which sits on an acoustic B115 (two ten combo on a 15)

Something must be done if we play there again. I have a Hartke VX3500 that is a 4x12 and has a shorter profile. Maybe that would be a better rig for this gig. Any advice would be appreciated as this was totally frustrating....

On top of that, rhythm guitar was being experimental, had a new guitar and was using a bugera half stack and amplifier rather than the fender cybertwin. His mids were suffering too. But the bad part was his guitar went super out of tune in the middle of a song... so bad that anything I did sounded like complete ass... That would be question two.

He sounded OK-ish with the lead guitar when this was going on, but I was dead on with my tuning, so if I was on the right notes, it sounded so wrong... I sounded wrong, not them... so I muted myself way way way back, mostly, just stood there pretending to play. After the song I was like.... dude someone is WAY out of tune. Lead plays a gibson and was offended.... snicker... I immediately assumed it was him... we start the next song and it is even worse... I knew it was the E string, and I knew whos. I thought about playing it on another octave, but realized it would still be out of sync with him... and as I said, lead guitar was compensating or something... I was the one who sounded off.... I know you shouldn't stop playing, but anything I put in sounded so awful that I couldnt even force myself to do it. Every note made me wince. Rhythm man was able to tune mid song (christ, he is magic) and we ended up marginally on track, after which he switched guitars... but god that was terrible.... and combined with the earlier problem very confusing....

Notch filter? that was the main question.... That and would switching to the 4x10 for that stage help? Thanks
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Are you in the pa ? Can you be ? If so go small and just use your amp as monitor. Admittedly, I am real used to not having much more than a monitor. Works for me though I get that other folks need to move more air than I. Clearly won't work if your rig has to carry the room.

Were you in the corner ? Not a place I refer to be as room reinforcement is unpredictable.

Small space? Can you manage to get further away from your amp ?

As far as the rhytm guy goes, I recommend an unloaded Buddy Rich. Small firearms but minus the bullets so nobody gets hurt, afterall you just need him to tune. You can always load later if necessary :)
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Did you have a chance to sound check before the gig? Does everybody have a tuner for reference?

It seems to me that no one could hear because you were too loud and too close to your amps.

Fire the guitar players.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  4. wcnewby

No, I'm not in the PA, and yes, for some reason I am always in front of my amp. I'd like to be futher from it, but I would also like to be taller, wealthier, stalked by Natalie Portman. The tuning thing was equipment failure, He was using a Jay Turser because he liked the sound at practice. In the gig the tuning machine kept slipping. He is usually super attentive to his tuning... Lead man, Mr, "this is a fekin gibson" yeah, he does need a shock collar attached to a tuner.
  5. wcnewby

Oh yeah, we always sound check. We are usually there for two hours before the gig. The drummer owns the PA and he likes to arrive with it early... he says it comforts him (I paraphrase) I believe it is like how your dog walks in circles before it poops. We go two hours early so the drummer can do his "poop circles" but we sound check. I got a wireless rig for the front man/lead vocals/rhythm guitar so he can walk out and check the sound... He is super picky, and that is why I like him. He gave my sound the thumbs up. It worked, but I didn't like the sound, I wasn't blending, or it was just that I wasn't blending in the stage sound. It's the first time it has happened, the first time we played this place, the first time he used that bugera rig.... too many firsts to nail down what caused what.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Sometimes what you hear on stage is totally different than what is heard out front. When you go back there, tweak one thing at a time until you get it cleared up. If you change a bunch of things all at once you might make it worse.

BassCliff
  7. wcnewby

no, thanks for your indulgence :)
  8. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Are you going to play that room again? I'd be interested to hear about your adjustments and how you improve your sound. Break a leg! ;)

BassCliff