1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Notching a Jazz Bass nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lo-E, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Lo-E

Lo-E

I'm cutting a nut for a new bound J-style neck and I'm contemplating notching the edges so they extend over the binding to allow myself just a slightly wider string spacing.

The only downside I can think of (other than it looking a little odd) is that there might not be enough material between the string slot and the notch on the E string side to keep it from cracking.

Has anyone here tried this? If so, how'd it work out?

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

You could use a brass nut... that would put the odds of not cracking in your favor. Sure, you might get slightly wider string spacing but consider if the strings will be a tad too close to the edge of the freeboard... might be challenging to play without having strings slide off the edge.

3. hotbass57

hotbass57

+1 with Gypsy and the strings slipping off.

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Never been a big fan of brass nuts, but it's not a bad idea. If the bone nut cracks I could always keep that idea in my back pocket.

Being too close to the edge would not be a problem as I'd only be slotting the nut where the strings would be on an unbound board. I'm just looking to make up for the 1/16th or so of wasted space on each edge of the board. I'm not looking to go wider than a normal, unbound Jazz. I know I wouldn't be gaining much, but every little bit helps. I generally prefer wider necks.

Keep the thoughts coming! I'd especially like to hear from anyone who's actually tried this. Surely somebody must have....?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

I've got a P-bass brass nut on my jazz bass, with bound edges, I had to widdle away at it before I got the size and depth right, but I like it A lot;)

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

bThumper38, if that nut were made of bone, do you think there's enough material on the edges to hold together without cracking? It's encouraging to hear that the concept works.

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Well, it took me a good long while to get around to it, but I went ahead and tried it and it worked fine with a bone nut. Extending the nut over the binding - about 1/16" on each side - enabled me to increase the overall string spacing by almost 1/8". A big improvement for me. These clumsy fingers need all the room they can get!

AGH likes this.
  9. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

Never discount what a 1 16/th of an inch can do. I mess around on the mandolin and the difference between a 1 1/8th and a 3/19th nut is HUGE.

I'd go brass and give it a whirl.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Already finished. Went with bone. Worked out great.