note omissions in chords/progressions

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by denchiq, Aug 30, 2011.

1. denchiq

denchiq Supporting Member

Hi Todd,

I must say I haven't heard your playing before, me bad. Now that I heard your music I like it very much. Your playing has this crystal clarity that specifically appeals... I don't know how to explain better, but, in short, I'm adding your music to my playlist from now on.

Now, I have a practical question that you, I can tell from your technique, have much worked on. I started playing chords a while ago and then came to using a 5-string bass (the Lakland 55-94 is fantastic, only I am afraid it is more than I can ever play, he he). I feel like spreading the notes of a chord makes it more transparent and readable on bass and placing them close, on the contrary, only sounds good on the higher strings. Thus the fingering.

Now, you Todd, are a great jazz player. When it comes to omitting notes in an odd chord with several added notes, there's not everything one can play on a guitar or bass (due to number of strings, tuning etc.). Where can I find guides as to, what notes I can leave out and still sustain the fabric of harmony? Using my ears is an obvious answer, but I always like to know the hidden lore behind the wonder

Thanks,
    Denis

I play in a big band that plays 'old' kind of jazz like Duke Ellington, Glen Miller etc.

2. funkadelickbass

funkadelickbass

Disclosures:
    Social Media and Sales: www.creamcitymusic.com