1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

note omissions in chords/progressions

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by denchiq, Aug 30, 2011.

1. denchiq

denchiq Supporting Member

Hi Todd,

I must say I haven't heard your playing before, me bad. Now that I heard your music I like it very much. Your playing has this crystal clarity that specifically appeals... I don't know how to explain better, but, in short, I'm adding your music to my playlist from now on.

Now, I have a practical question that you, I can tell from your technique, have much worked on. I started playing chords a while ago and then came to using a 5-string bass (the Lakland 55-94 is fantastic, only I am afraid it is more than I can ever play, he he). I feel like spreading the notes of a chord makes it more transparent and readable on bass and placing them close, on the contrary, only sounds good on the higher strings. Thus the fingering.

Now, you Todd, are a great jazz player. When it comes to omitting notes in an odd chord with several added notes, there's not everything one can play on a guitar or bass (due to number of strings, tuning etc.). Where can I find guides as to, what notes I can leave out and still sustain the fabric of harmony? Using my ears is an obvious answer, but I always like to know the hidden lore behind the wonder

Thanks,
    Denis

I play in a big band that plays 'old' kind of jazz like Duke Ellington, Glen Miller etc.
  2. funkadelickbass

funkadelickbass

Disclosures:
    Social Media and Sales: www.creamcitymusic.com