Nothing but dirt?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Denver Max, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Denver Max

Denver Max

I'm working in my first pedalboard right now. I had a Polytope and a Micro POG being held for me, but my money was delayed so I think they're going back up for sale. The problem is, this leaves me with nothing but dirt on my board. Rusty Box, BBM pi, Malekko Diabolik, and a custom SSStampede fuzz from Dirge Electronics with a feedback loop and upper octave switch. Oh, and a tuner.

Does anyone have a board that is nothing but fuzz, OD, and distortion? I guess I'm a little self conscious about it. That may just be the GAS talking though. I have some other effects in mind, but its going to be a while before I can afford them. Also, a lot of them are IE pedals, so lord knows when theyll actually be for sale haha. I play punk/hardcore with a progressive leaning, so I know there's a place for all the dirt, but the other effects would be useful to expand our sound a bit. I'm a little frustrated that I wont be able to get those two ATM.
  2. Denver Max

Denver Max

3. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Dirt is good, bro! No such thing as too much dirt.

No shame. No need to justify your choices to anyone. If you like it, it deserves a place on your board. :bassist:

Just because you are still waiting to put some different effects on your board, doesn't disqualify what's already there. ;)
  4. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Supporting Member

I'll second that.
  5. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Board of nothing but dirt? Guilty as charged, sir! :D
  6. Denver Max

Denver Max

I realize how silly this post was. I wrote it in a fit of frustration. I haven't gotten any of them in my hands yet besides the Muff which I've had forever and I've started to get bored with it. So really, they're all going to be new and exciting Hehe.
  7. vegas532

You're going to dig that Diabolik! ;)
  8. Denver Max

Denver Max

Man, I'm so excited about that. From what I can tell from the YouTube video, the Diabolik is going to be my not-doomy-but-still-heavy "lead" fuzz for cutting through and melting faces.

The Dirge SSStampede is going to be my wild card. I think he's going to put a momentary feedback loop and possibly a voltage sag. And its got an octave switch. And its already a big sustain-y doom fuzz, but I asked there was any way to have a gate switch for some sputtery nasty fuzz. I'm imagining the glitchy nasty octave fuzz running into the Diabolik. Man. And then switching to the non gated side and kicking on that feedback loop. My guitar player is going to hate me. And so will the neighbors.
  9. CrayZee_One

CrayZee_One Supporting Member

This........
    .....is all you need to know. Have fun in your dirt quest!
  10. MrPierre

MrPierre

Only dirt boxes (and a tuner) on my board. I have an extra space on it, just in case I need something else. Like a boost.
  11. zapped777

zapped777

So ....like ... There is other types of pedals besides fuzz, drives, and distortion????? News to me! Are you talkin about those crazy tuner things?
  12. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Modulation effects just aren't called for in most playing situations. I only have three pedals on my board: a Turbo Tuner, Diamond Comp and a B7K. Most of the time I don't even use the distortion part of the B7K.
  13. Denver Max

Denver Max

Yeah, I WANT some modulation but I don't know that I need it in my current project. Maybe something like the Prunes and Custard. A distortion with a filter for some weird sounds. I was in the mindset for a while that I wasn't going to have a guitar player and that I would need to fill a lot of space, so I wanted a chorus and an octave and a harmonizer. But that's not the case anymore. I just need to focus and not let my GAS wander.
  14. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Focus on your needs. I had to realize that a lot of the pedals that I GAS for would end up being unused. GAS usually passes pretty quick for me. I just don't have to make any impulse purchases :D
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had about 5 to 6 dirt pedals on my board at one time before. It was quite fun, my tone was ALWAYS dirty. I have since narrowed it down to a few. It is super east to get lost in dirtiness. Its quite fun and I dont blame you for having a lotta dirt on your board OP. Can never have too many flavors of dirt IMO, cause there are so many out there.
  16. Denver Max

Denver Max

Today at practice my GP suggested I play clean more often. Boo. Its ok, though, because soon my clean tone will just be my Rusty Box. That's as clean as its getting for this project. I also realized today that I loathe my bass big muff pi. Even on bass boost, it kills my low end. And if I use the dry blend, it just sounds like I'm playing clean and someone in the other room is using some fuzz. It was my first fuzz though. Guess you have to start somewhere.
  17. winterburn69

winterburn69

Not surprising given how often your posts relate to fuzz/OD/dirt pedals... what's your board look like?

I love chorus & octave too much to do a board of all dirt, but I used to have 2 fuzzes and 2 overdrives in my chain :p
  18. vegas532

It's gotten to the point that I no longer have a "permanent board" together, I just take along whatever I may need for any given situation. The ones that seem to get the most use are: VT Bass and GT-2 (as pres), Silicon B:Assmaster, and Diabolik. Second runner ups include the Rusty Box and Depth Charge.