Nothing's Carved In Stone, for fans of growly bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Asomodai, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Asomodai

Asomodai

Hey guys.

For years I have been chasing a very growly cutting tone with little success. I have been aware of this band for a while, but the bass plaayer really is something else. He uses a variety of basses but seems to get a signature style growl that I absolutely adore.

Sounds more P bass to me, but hard to tell.

Current gear is a Fender P-J all maple P bass with Dimarzio Super Woofer and Ultra Jazz and a Gibson Grabber. VT Bass Deluxe, Ampeg PG-500, Barefaced S12T. Cant get anywhere near this tone! Ideas?
  2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

very cool tone indeed!
  3. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

I have growl in gobs with a Warwick Corvette STD (I had EMG JX pickups and ACG EQ-01 preamp in it), EBMMs like 25th anniversary (basically a Reflex with a pretty top) and a Big Al sss, Dingwall ABI into my Orange AD200B. Don't scoop those mids, give them a little bump.
    Maybe try a DarkGlass B3K or B7K too.
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I'm no tone guru, but the mids sound boosted to me. And I think rounds.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Asomodai

Asomodai

Sounds odd to me, Maybe boosted low mids with hardly any treble? Maybe some compression trickery? Maybe hes turned down his tone control...
  7. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

I think you may have hit it...'My' tone sounds very close and that's how I tend to run my EQ..slightly boosted bass and low mids,neutral high mids,and the treble rolled back to about 1/3 from 'zero'. I play a Fen. J w/Fralin single coils wired in series with the tone control set a little less than halfway..

Whatever his secret,it sounds great!
  8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

The round mids made me think flats, but there are some pops during a short break that say rounds. Great tone indeed.

In response to a different recent thread, that guy's got chops and groove.
  9. Asomodai

Asomodai

Someone reckons it is mostly the Orange. Though in my experience Oranges are just overpriced compared to lets say a Matamp.
  10. unclejane

unclejane Guest

I can get a good 85% there with my El Cheezmo Roland Micro Cube BassX using the SWR amp sim, compression on and gain knob a little under maxed out. The bass doesn't make much difference with those settings. Both my L2K and Bunny cop it fairly well. Frets would probably get it a little closer tho.

So don't spend a lot of money trying to get this tone ;). A more authentic one you could probably achieve with a tube-type preamp and just overdrive the tube stage a bit.

You probably already have the gear to generate it, maybe just twiddle with the EQ some and you should be pretty close?
    PS: does remind me of the Bassman I used for a while when I was gigging...
    Very different from my normal tone, but I like it...

LS