Noticed some noises...Is it time for a PP2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lovefist, Jan 24, 2014.

1. lovefist

lovefist

So I've been using a 1spot for a few years now and have a second one has a backup. Eight to nine of my pedals are daisy chained together and work quite well. However, my Octamizer seems to be a little noisy when it's on. So, I figure it could be a bad 1/4 or the power supply or something else (perhaps the daisy outlet into the octamizer).

My question is would it be a terrible idea to finally add a PP2 to my Pedaltrain Jr. ?

Here is the current set up: Ditto looper>Hall of Fame>Flashback>Corona Chorus>Diablok>Frantabit>TLC Comp>Filter Twin>Octamizer>Korg Pitchblack

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    To find out, power the oddball unit on its own wall wart or battery.

3. Crater

Crater

I have a VooDoo labs ISO-5 power supply, it is WONDERFUL. Professional quality, short-circuit protected, and dead quiet on my pedalboard. VooDoo labs' power supplies are the ones to get if you can afford them.

Your post, by the way, seems typical of many from 1spot users. It works great for most people until they add another pedal to their board, and then they suddenly notice weird noises. It seems the 1spot's switching power supply is more prone to generating noise when it's got a higher load on it, which makes sense if you know how switching power supplies work.

4. lovefist

lovefist

I did try it on it's own with the 1spot I use and believe the noise was not present.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ok that's a start. Now hook up the whole pedal chain, but power that one pedal on its own supply/battery.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I use a OneSpot with my Octamizer and a dozen-ish other pedals..no noise.

8. lovefist

lovefist

I actually took a pedal off and ran the octamizer by itself with two basses.

Sounded good, gonna try to run the octamizer with just one 1spot then with it's own.