1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NoTreble's "Profiles in Tone" - Jack Casady, Alex Webster, and Jerry Scheff!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

I found this thanks to Alex's facebook page, which posted the interview he did. These are some great looks at three (and more to come) well-known and distinctive-sounding bassists.

Jerry Scheff - "Its [sic] almost like squeezing out the notes like dirty water from a dish rag. After a while it becomes automatic and you don’t even think about it."

Jack Casady - "I think tone is your signature as to who you are. Before you get to the notes, and your style and the kind of riffs you like to do or your influences, I think you have to develop and pay attention to the way you make the tone on your instrument and what pleases you. The music builds around the tone."

Alex Webster - "For metal, you want that attack and to hear each note. When the string is first struck, you want to hear that attack and then get the note to bloom after it as well."

Pretty cool stuff, in my opinion anyway.

2. SlappyWhite

SlappyWhite Banned

Jerry Scheff is one of the greatest bassists to ever live. He gets a great tone out of that P bass.

3. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    Plus, Alex Webster gave us a shout out:

"I figured, “Why don’t I start trying this live?” So I searched for the best bass overdrive, which led me to Talkbass where people were talking about Darkglass Electronic’s B3K pedal. I checked out a few different pedals with sound samples, and I really like what I was hearing from the B3K so I got in touch with Doug and Hugo at Darkglass and they sent me one. Ever since, I’ve used it for every live show."

4. Hamlet7768

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool as well. I never knew he came on here, much less that TB led him to that pedal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mixedbass

mixedbass

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, notreble.com
    Glad you guys dig the series! I got inspired after emailing with Jerry, who was dropping all sorts of knowledge on me.
    Alex is proactive in the bass world, so I'm sure he's on here pretty regularly. GREAT guy.
    Anyways, we're leaning towards profiling an R&B/neo-soul bassist next, but I'd be interested to hear who you'd like us to feature in the column down the road. What do you say?
    Best,
    Kevin

7. Hamlet7768

Small internet, huh? And I've been to Winchester! Small real world too.

Talking to Chris Squire might be fun, though I feel like his rig and sound have been turned inside out at this point. Perhaps John Myung, though he did a gear-talk interview a short while back, so most of the mysteries about his new tone are solved for me. Uh...Paolo Gregoletto could be cool. Tony Levin too.

EDIT: Ooh, ooh! John Wetton!

8. Veldar

Veldar

So the question is, whats Alex Webster's screen name?

9. Hamlet7768

Probably something impossible to trace to him without some seriously creepy detective work.