1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Novice needs help picking new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Speeding Wheels, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels

Hello!

I'm brand new to this forum and brand new to playing bass.
    I recently bought a MIJ Fender Signature Geddy Lee Jazz bass 2nd hand from Guitar Center (got a killer deal) and I've decided it really needs a setup... and since it's getting setup I should probably look at some new strings.

I have no idea what kind of strings are on it right now and honestly, I know *nothing* about new strings. The only thing I know is that Geddy plays RS66LD's so I figured that would be an option.

I am a total bass novice. I bought Rocksmith 2014 and have been playing around with that and learning some other licks from youtube vids and just messing around on my own. I pick with 2 fingers and my fingers have gotten used to the strings, there is no more horrible pain after I'm done playing around for an hour or two.

I would love some suggestions on the best strings for a beginner.. thanks in advance for your time ;)
  2. tbear1776

tbear1776

3. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

After the links, think about what type of music you might want to play or particular bands. This will dictate a lot of those parameters of the differences listed above.

Come back after and we can discuss it some more
  4. Major Softie

Major Softie

There are really no "best strings for a beginner," although flats are easier on your fingers, so that can be a bit helpful.

As above, you need to find out what sound you like, and then you can go about choosing what strings lean toward that sound. What kind of music do you imagine yourself playing? What kind of songs have a bass sound that you really like?

Nothing wrong with emulating Geddy Lee, and RotoSound certainly is a quality manufacturer, so your first impulse is a good one . . . IF that's the sound you want.

Used strings can be a very good option for someone like you who doesn't know what they want. Flats, for instance, are pretty expensive, and by purchasing strings from someone who tried them and decided they weren't for them, you can find out if they are for you without having to make nearly as large an investment. Trying some of the more expensive strings bought new (TI, Pyramid, Labella, Roto), it doesn't take long before you would spend at least 1/2 as much as you spent on the bass itself.
  5. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

go to bassstringsonline.com. they have wholesale prices. D'Addario and Rotosound have been good to me. I'm a roto77 (flat wounds) convert; takes a month for them to loose their zing and start giving nice rich tone. I went round wound when I first started because I wanted to hear the notes clearly and all my mistakes clearly too-- while I was dialing in my proper technique. But, I recommend flats to the beginner anyway because they sound better and that motivates. :hyper:

fnord!
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Roto 66s are a great choice. That's what I use.
  7. bluescaster67

bluescaster67

I'm personally a fan of DR high beams 45-105s. I was recommended them a couple of years ago and never used anything else since. Regards ,Mick
  8. edencab

edencab

I put Fender flats on my MIM Fender Jazz...love 'em
    and D'addario 1/2 rounds on my Yamaha.also sound and feel great
  9. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Roto steels require a special touch to play and not sound harsh and zingy. If you're learning on those, I say stick with it. It'll only make you a better player with clean technique.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Nickel round wounds are versatile.
    GHS Boomers are affordable.
  11. Mushroo

Mushroo

All of the suggestions above are good.

Additionally, I would add, the place where you take your bass for the setup, if they are having a good sale on one of the popular brands mentioned above, that might be an option to consider. :)
  12. aggrokragg

aggrokragg

Also make sure whatever type of strings you try out, give them some time to break in. I play Ernie Ball Bass Slinkys and D'Addario Nickel XL's (both fairly bright round wounds) and it always takes a few weeks of consistent playing for them to mellow out to the point where they really sound the way I like them.
  13. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

You HAVE to try Roto 66s on that bass at least once. I've had my Geddy for twelve years with all different strings on it. I keep coming back to the Roto GROWL.
  14. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Buy one each of the following string styles:

1) roundwound
    2) half wound / roller wound
    3) flat

Decide what you personally like after trying each of those three.