Novice player use of pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pecBass, Mar 17, 2014.

1. pecBass

pecBass

Hi all,

I have been playing about a year and am self taught (still a novice but play basic bass stuff each week in our praise band).

Would some type of stompbox or pedals help to diversify the sounds from my ibanez xxv four string bass?

Our guitar player frequently changes patches to match the song.

thanks!

2. pecBass

pecBass

I have been looking at something like: Zoom B3 Bass Multi Effects Pedal

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1. This will let you try a whole bunch of effects to see what you like like/will need and let you get familiar with what they do and their perimeters. Or you could go the way of an MS60B and or a 70CDR both made by Zoom as well. Other than those, I can start a whole laundry list of pedals to try. So IMO Zoom is a great place to start. Very good and usable effects and they arent that expensive at all for what youre getting.

4. Swift713

Swift713

The B3 is a great pedal. The tuner, mute, DI, looper, drum machine, headphone amp, is all worth the price plus the effects are really solid, the amp modeling is great. It's a fantastic tool either all alone or in conjunction with other more boutique pedals.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

When I started in the effects world I had a DigiTech BP200. I think multiple effect pedals are good places to start. You literally have almost every kind of effect in one box. Most likely you will only find a few that you like. Definitely a good place to start. I still wish I hung on to mine. I found all the effects pretty useless after a while but there was a strings effect that was just awesome! If someone made a pedal with just that effect I'd buy it in a second.

7. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

+1 on starting with a multi-effects. Great way to experiment and find out what types of effects will be most useful to you. When I put together my first pedalboard I basically just recreated my most-used effects from my old multi-effects unit with a bit better sound quality.

8. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

Hahaha I still have this pedal and I remember that strings effect!! It was pretty cool. Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore or I'd at least use it for the drum machine it had in it for practice in my room sake. Multi effects have come a LONG way since then. Especially the zoom stuff.

9. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    While I can't say I've used the Zoom stuff for bass, I did have a guitarist who used one all the time and I've owned a Boss GT-6B personally.

His Zoom pedal sounded atrocious and wasn't very usable outside of some cheesy effects that came off sounding super digital and unnatural. My GT-6B was...a massive waste of money. Logistically it was poorly laid-out, the effects were sub-par compared to the single pedals Boss made and modeled in the GT-6B, and it was crazy expensive.

I say all this to say, do not swear off effects completely if you have a bad experience with a multi-fx unit. Plenty of great pedals out there! If you like the Zoom, then awesome, no problem at all to address! Idk how open-minded your crew at the church is, but most people freak out when they see the bassist bringing in effects ;)

10. thebreakman

thebreakman Supporting Member

Well you havent heard this particular Zoom product then because what you just described does not decribe the Zoom B3. This is easily one of the better multi-effects for bass.

11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Yup, that's why I said I didn't use it in the post ;)

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I also would suggest the cheaper MS-60B

13. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Just remember that less is more, and only use an effect if it fits, don't shoehorn it in just because you think it's cool.

14. Lupob6

Lupob6

I'm also a novice looking at zoom multi pedals, just wondering if the ms60b has loop and drum machine functions?

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

No it does not

16. Lupob6

Lupob6

17. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    The only features the 60b has is effects (dist, modulation, delay, reverb, fuzz, octave and others), amp sims, compressors, line selector, a couple of graphic EQ's, tuner, bypass and or mute, the ability to build patches and stack effects up to 4 at a time (with most effects) and some other stuff. It does not have all the fancy stuff the B3 has, like the headphone amp, DI, drum machin or looper, but it is a fun and usable pedal none the less. You would be doing yourself a great disservice if you didnt look into it IMO.

18. Seryna

Seryna

Does the 60b have DAW recording?

19. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I have never used either but as someone who has used multi-effects in the past (GT-6B and GT-10B; and I do have a Zoom G9.2tt for guitar), I would recommend the B3 over the MS-60B if you're looking for ONE pedal to get into the effects game. The MS-60B is more of a way to complete a big board, the B3 seems like more of a stand-alone unit. The one argument against that is, ironically, that the MS-60B lets you do four effects and the B3 only does 3. But otherwise I think what I've said is true.

20. rsm

rsm

You could also use the Zoom B3 direct to FOH, maybe get a small powered FRFR. My B3 is my main rig today, and I plan to simplify even more by getting a Zoom B1Xon when they are available (5 effects per preset vs 3 effects per preset in the B3), but I don't use the B3 in pedal mode.

Back on topic. the Zoom B3, IMO, is a good multi-effect and much more if you chose to use it for more. Maybe get one used to try; if it doesn't work you can sell it for what you paid.

21. pecBass

pecBass

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought it. If nothing else it will be good for practicing and learning the hows and whens of pedals :)

Thanks, all.