Now Everybody's A Hippie.........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

So Colorado just ran out of pot........what the heck!!##??...

I remember back in the 60's when the only people that were largely associated with pot were the Long hairs and flower children plus a few artists/musicians of all description..

Mr. and Mrs.Average USA and Canada were, in my experience, firmly steered away from pot and drug use.....

You taught your kids that drugs and too much booze were immoral and also not good for them.

You tried to set an example for their benefit.

The Hippie philosophy differed quite a bit from mainstream "squares".

Parents did not want their children turning out to be pot smoking commune dwellers in the future......at least not mainstream parents......

Fast forward to today......everybody of all ages wants to get stoned.

If they didn't they wouldn't be screaming "Legalize Pot!!!"

Everybody wants legal bud so they can be ripped at will.

Judges, lawyers, teachers, truck drivers, garbage-men, cops.......everybody's using and everybody wants it legalized....

I'm not religious and I don't have an axe to grind.....

I don't use weed myself.....and I won't even if it goes legal...

But that's just a personal choice.......as is the choice of those who would use it.

Just seems funny to me as how we once bemoaned the use of pot..........now everybody wants it......

Anyhow......apparently a lot of people aren't going to "Just Say No"........nice try Nancy......

Wonder where the next "Woodstock" will be held.......
  2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Get over it.
  3. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Holy ellipsis Batman!

Looks like some kind of bad copypasta.
  4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

The first thing I think when I see your avatar is Bud Monster.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Back in the day (in the circles I moved in) it seemed that weed was pretty danged common. Used openly at every concert and most social events. And we were just a bunch of suburban kinds in the NY metro area, not shady hippies or part of some weird fringe cult. Today doesn't seem that much different except that people are more discreet if anything, and I live in WA now where it's legal. I pretty much can't do it anymore which is just as well. You are right about one thing; all sorts of people are users; Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, 'prolly The Man too.
  7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Prohibition works well. We should keep doing it. :ninja:
  8. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What's funny is, I'm about the biggest hippie ever, and there is no chance of my taking another toke again in this lifetime.
  10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

I strongly believe we should legalize pot. But I don't personally have any use for it. I just think that people who would benefit from it medically should have that option.

I also want us to have a hemp industry again. Hemp oil, hemp rope, hemp cloth...

It's darned useful stuff.
  11. bassteban

bassteban

The new carrots?
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... and you could have hemp salad, hemp bisque, hemp a la mode, shredded hemp, chocolate-covered hemp, hemp fries, hemp casserole, hemp-in-a-blanket, hemp sundae, hemp burrito, hemp au jus ...
  13. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Then you weren't there. :ninja:

Seriously though, those longhairs are now running the ship. :ninja: :ninja:
  14. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Squares have been partaking of the devils lettuce for a long time. They just don't flaunt it. Hippies want people to know they're potheads.
  15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

It seems there is a certain overly optimistic take on the benefits of weed.

My main hope is that this will result in less men in jail.
  16. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

+1

Even more so, I would hope that it results in fewer young teenagers getting their mitts on it. Totally naive of me to imagine this happening, but I've met a few too many people in their early 20s who toked up in highschool and did damage to their mental faculties. This is no doubt because weed is super-strength crud these days and kids brains are still developing when they are 13 - 18 years old. Off the top of my head I can think of three people I met over a three year period in my immediate peer group who spent time institutionalised; the common factor being they all smoked way too young. I've heard about more cases 2nd hand through other people.
  17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I ushered in the Millennium with a trip to the coffee houses.

It's nothing like the Nebraska NoHi from the 60s and 70s.
  18. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Louis CK does a brilliant sketch about this on his Live at the Beacon Theatre DVD.

He talks about smoking for the first time in a while with some younger guys after a comedy gig. He's taking "Big, '70s jean-jacket, Bad Company hits" and ending up in a bad predicament.

Pretty funny, but also scarily true apparently.
  19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Yet smoking was even more common then, and even if you are using the "too much booze", they were still drinking.

I don't plan on sparking up a J any time soon, but I do see the hypocrisy in vilifying something which really isn't any worse for you than the socially acceptable recreational drugs in society.
  20. Freightshaker

Freightshaker

I run this truck over a large portion of the USA. I find very few pot smoking professional drivers as listed in the OP. If your truck gets rearended, you will be tested and held without bail when found under the influence. I have nothing against safe usage of non drivers.
  21. bolophonic

bolophonic

I wonder if the OP wrings his hands and clutches his pearls like this over the ever-present fatso Bud Lite drunky culture in the U.S. of A?