Now I know for sure I want to be cremated.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

My dad passed on Monday. Yesterday, we made the arrangements, etc. and had to pick out a casket. To me, it's huge waste of money. We selected a casket that we thought he would choose for himself. Money really wasn't the issue but the one we picked was about $2100.00. Add $1100.00 for a vault, nearly $1000 for having the grave dug/closed, and $1000 for the plot. We haven't picked a marker yet but I'm sure that's expensive too. I don't want any of that for myself. That money can be better spent somewhere else.

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Agree. Being buried in the ground is a waste of money and a waste of space.

Sorry about your dad.

3. Milk

Milk

My grandad died this year. Astounded at the cost of the whole thing, my brother decided to research the cheapest way for one to be well...dead. Turns out you can get just basically get wooden box for super cheap (in fact they allow you to build it yourself providing it meets certain basic requirements...making a sturdy enough wooden box that'll fit a human isn't hard). I don't remember the details but he figured out you could have everything done for under 1000$ easy. The thing is, funeral parlors totally guilt trip you into getting the dead relative all the best. They know you're likely to have just inherited some life insurance and boy are they gonna make sure they can squeeze the most of it out of you. It's a sick industry. Who gives a S the quality of the coffin you're buried in?

4. rtslinger

rtslinger

Sorry to hear about your Dad I lost mine a few years back and I still haven't gotten over it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your father's passing. Mine died about four years ago. It's not easy.

It's not a bad idea to plan your arrangements ahead of time and provide instructions (and funds) in your will. That can save your family these decisions and costs, and avoid the guilt-tripping of "we don't want to skimp on his funeral."

At a quick check, looks like cremation would save money, but it may not be as cheap as you think. I found a funeral association website that says cremation costs average $1200 but can run as high as $3000. Better than the $5200 your family wound up paying, but hardly free.

7. tuBass

tuBass Supporting Member

my dad wants his body donated to the medical school....

8. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your Dad, I laid my mom to rest 11/1.

Cremation can be expensive as well if you are going to have a plot or a vault. This is what my parents chose and bought for themselves back in 1988. Even though they bought everything back then, my dad was still was charged $1,300 to have the vault cover removed, her ashes placed in and the cover sealed.

I think I will go this route.

9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

feed my body to feral pigs

10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Not going to have an urn or any kind of vault, etc. Maybe scatter the ashes somewhere cool, I just don't see the value in having a designated place for my remains. I have family that I deeply cared about but I never visit their graves. They aren't there.

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Where do you want your cremains to sit, once you're gone? If you want them in a mausoleum, that's not cheap, either. If you want your ashes to be distributed in a favorite place, that obviously eliminates this expense. Respecting the person's wishes is great, but how often have most people gone to the cemetery to pay their respects, rather than doing it wherever they happen to be?

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I'll provide for my own plot and expenses. I want people to have a place to come and see me. I don't believe it should be a burden on the living.

Sorry to hear about your father. I hope you're doing okay.

13. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

My wife and I want to be buried, but no coffin and no embalming fluid. Just us in the dirt, with a tree or two planted on top so our bodies can be food for it. I suspect somebody has figured out how to make that expensive too...

14. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

Sorry for your loss.

My mom, 2 of my aunts and myself half all requested cremation with no funeral/memorial service.

Now, I'm not religious and neither is one of my aunts but my mom and the other aunt are. (not trying to open a can of worms, just showing it's not due to religious reasons, or lack thereof.)

It's purely a practical decision. My family has never stood on ceremony.

15. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Sorry about your loss. I don't know what I'd like done with my body after I'm gone. Just dig a hole and throw me in. I know my wife wouldn't go for that though.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

So sorry to hear about your dad. my sincere condolences.

While I'm doing this because I want to be as useful as possible for as long as possible, it turns out to be pretty inexpensive. The grand total to dispose of my remains will be the cost of an ambulance ride from Birmingham to Knoxville where I'll be turned over to the body farm at UT.

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Very sorry to hear about your dad. My father died over 13 years ago and I remember being shocked at those costs too.

18. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

We just went through this about 6 weeks ago. They have to transport him to the crematorium in something. We bought a big cardboard box from the funeral home for this purpose. It still cost several hundred dollars. Death is the last place they get to screw you and they take full advantage.

My condolences on the loss of your father.

20. Milk

Milk

"Well Sir, someone has to provide for a shovel and not just any kind, a real high quality one that won't break. We're talking at least 500$. And digging a hole, well that can set you back 3000$! Now i know i know...it may seem steep like that...but that's a lot of effort and it takes time and it has to be done according to the demanding standards of the gravedigging laws. Planting trees? yeah that can be done, for you, just 1000$ per tree. So let's see, 5500$ for a fine and simple burial."

21. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Death is a huge business and a lot of the profits are a direct result of guilt. When my dad died he was cremated in a cardboard box. My mom has made it clear that she wants to go the same way - as cheaply and neatly as possible. I never understood the idea of spending thousands on a coffin that either gets buried or burned. Then again, I'm not religious.