1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Now it's time for the airing of greivances and my gig gear!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I love playing, but that smokey smell sucks! It's a nice day outside and I have all my gear being de-funkified.
  2. FenderJazz1989

FenderJazz1989

You can still smoke indoors there at public places?

Not in CA.

Reminds me of that South Park
  3. Stinsok

There are some places you can smoke. I'm not sure how the ordinance goes. I think here you can be all or none.
  4. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

I know nobody asked, but i kinda associate live music with fun, alcohol, smokes, and other sorts of party materials. What one likes. I have never heard a musician older or younger mention that cig, or any other smoke bothers them. I just think it adds to the atmosphere of the club..
    They make sprays with an enzyme that will take the smoke oder out of your rig.
  5. Willie The Pimp

Willie The Pimp

Tobacco smoke stinks and I hate it too!
    Go fresh air!
  6. AuBassMan

AuBassMan

Yeah, I don't care for the smoke smell either. I quit smoking about 25 years ago. I opened my new amp rack/case last night at home and the smoke smell hit me in my face....didn't expect it!
  7. sizzle

sizzle sunn #91 Supporting Member

smoke bothers me
  8. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Are there a lot of states that still permit smoking indoors? I have not been in a public place in the US where smoking is permitted in more than a decade. Seems like a time warp to read about a smokey gear stink.
  9. Winfred

Winfred

Still lots of places in VA where people smoke in clubs/bars/etc. We're the home of Phillip Morris, after all.
  10. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

The smoking ban in Colorado is the best thing to happen to live music.
  11. philvanv

I love the smoke....anyway agreat spray is called Oderxct. Works great and will last until the next show
  12. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

And dining out as well. Have enjoyed many a night out due to not having to huff someone elses lung cancer
  13. DogBone

DogBone

It bothers me, always has.

I grew up with both parents being chain smokers.

I've breathed enough second hand smoke in my younger years for several lifetimes.

Sure I enjoy dives and hole in the wall bars as much as anyone, and sure a cig or a joint may be fired up from time to time under the radar, but it's NOTHING like it used to be years ago when the bar and grills were clouded up.

I'm all about personal liberty, at least until it infringes on someone elses liberty.

I consider clean, breathable air a personal liberty.
  14. philvanv

I am looking forward to hearing all those people that hate cig oder how voted to pass the Marijuana bill start crying when the have to smell it in public everywhere. I think in wa in july. People who voted on this will be regretting or denying they sere in support of it..
  15. Stinsok

During the gig it's tolerable. The next morning when it's stale is the worst .
  16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Rosewood fingerboards draw smoke smells worse than maple ones. Anyone with me on this? Never had to deal with stale smoke smell on my maple neck P but my rosewood LTD would often smell like an ashtray the next day.
  17. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

I'm with DogBone, and there is nothing like a down wind whiff of cigarette to ruin an outdoor (or indoor for that matter) meal or relaxation for me.
  18. kenbert

kenbert

I was almost to the point I was going to quit giging in bars because I couldnt stand the cig smoke. I think its been about 3 years since the cig ban in bars here in Michigan and my gear still smells like smoke!
  19. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I'm right there with you stinsok. We have had smoke free bars for a while now and I love it. The exception is private clubs. I had a gig the last weekend of December at a Moose lodge that was full of smokers. My cabinets and bass reeked of smoke for several days afterward.
  20. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

You have now.