1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Now that Genz Benz is being discontinued, what should I buy next?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mettec, Dec 17, 2013.

1. mettec

mettec

I have been playing through a Genz Benz Neox 212T and Shuttle 6.0 for almost 7 years now and it's time to upgrade to something new and/or different. I have had SWR, GK, Ampeg, and Eden in the past but non were as great sounding as Genz Benz. I was going to get a Uber 210 or 410 when they were being clearance but didn't have the funds at the time and now it's hard to find one. So I am looking at a different manufacturer.

One of the main reasons I like GB cabs are that when playing at high volume levels with an open B-string the speakers have little to no movement. Very tight response. I am looking for speakers that are just as tight and great sounding without going over $600.

I am also looking into getting a GB Shuttle 12.2 or Carvin BX1500. So what other manufactures can be recommended?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Gallien Krueger - MB800 or MB Fusion 800.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You're explaining us that you are perfectly content with your gear and haven't found anything better to replace it so far.
    Why do you want to change?
  4. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

+1 to the above. If you like it, don't mess with it. I've "upgraded" for the sake of getting the newer stuff and its bit me multiple times. You think I'd learn by now!
  5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The Shuttle 12 and a second NeoX 212 is about the only upgrade I could see if you like the tone you're getting. You'd just have to hunt it down used.
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The afformentioned Carvin BX1500 with one ACME Flat cab (12" sub) and one ACME Full range cab (12" 2-way). Run in dual mono for either 300w each (at 8 ohms) or 450w each (at 4 ohms).

Having a separate volume knob for each cab comes in handy at gigs, so does the active crossover and two EQ sections. Swapping basses is instant.

Another cool option would be the Carvin with a pair of Baer ML-112's.
  7. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

+1 to this.
  8. sunbrother

sunbrother

The BX1500 is a great amp but if you're happy then why switch?
  9. mettec

mettec

Sorry guys! I should have said this better but will explain.
    I love the sound of my GB 410XB-2 but this cab is big and very heavy. I would like to replace it with an Uber 210. The Uber 210 would compliment the Neox 212T nicely but If I had these 2 cabs the Shuttle 6.0 would not work because one cab is 4 ohms and the other is 8 ohms, this is why I would need to change amps.

The other thing is if I found an Uber 410 cab then I would get rid of my 410 and possibly the 212 and get a Combo for smaller rooms and rehearsal.

Since it's getting difficult to find the Uber cabs at a descent price one I was just curious on what other manufacturers that have cabs that are smaller and lighter but still have a tight low end response similar to GB cabs.
  10. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

If I were looking to replace my GB amps or just adding something different, it would be the MB Fusion 800.
  11. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

That's kind of what I'm looking into. :cool: ..GK MB Fusion 800.
  12. bobcruz

bobcruz

I would take a look at the rebranded GB gear that Fender will be showing at NAMM. ;)
  13. mettec

mettec

Well if it's anything like Fender did after taking over SWR, NO THANKS! I had a Pre-Fender SWR SM-900 amp that was giving me issues. I took it to the Fender Authorized Repair center and after they had it for 3 weeks, screwed it up worse. The reason was the repair center only had schematics of the Post Fender SM-900 which was built using different cheaper components and a new re-design. They could not fix it and took it to another repair place and they couldn't fix it either cause the parts that were needed were not the ones Fender supplies.
    Actually found a local guy from here on TB that did mods on SWR gear and he fixed it in 1 week and half the cost of the other repair places. So I am a little skeptical on Fenders rebranding of GB. But maybe they will be good.
  14. Sartori

Sartori

Why on earth would you get a 4ohm 2x10 or 2x12?
  15. LightGroove

LightGroove

The 4ohm Neox212 is designed to mate with the Shuttle 6.0.. 600 watts @ 4 ohms or something like that. Makes sense to me.
  16. Sartori

Sartori

But with no possibility of expanding. Seems shortsighted to me. Better to have an 8ohm 2x12 so that if you need to be louder, you can get another one and have a little tower of 12"s.
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Not all 2-12 cabinets are created the same. I could not see needing any more than what this can provide (it's 4 Ohms, too) :bassist::

Attached Files:

18. LightGroove

LightGroove

I guess its all in perspective but I have to ask. Where are you playing that more than a 2x12 would be necessary? I would think PA support would kick in as you approached larger venues.
  19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I can't see myself ever needing more than a pair of twelve. They push harder than an Ampeg fridge.
  20. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Bass and Beyond has a used Uber410 (in California) maybe they will ship. They have it listed at $800 which is over your $600, but maybe you can talk with them. (No connection to Bass and Beyond other then liking the store alot.)

http://www.bassandbeyond.net