1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Now that Michael Dolan is retired...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt Dean, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Who is the go to bass/guitar tech in the SF North Bay (specifically sonoma or marin counties)?

Thanks, matt

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    My shop is at 1501 Powell, studio M; Al Milburn, Hans Brede & myself share the space. Hans & myself are building basses from Tempered Tonewood, necks & bodies both.

3. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie-Spector Bass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

Damn! I have a trainwreck of a Gibson Les Paul bass that I was going to, one day, have Michael re-engineer for me. Jim! Did you keep that 750?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

I know I'm resurrecting an old-ish thread, but I wanted to let folks know that Mike Dolan is only semi-retired. He is still building basses. He just moved to another location and no longer does his own finishes. I think he has also reduced his workload considerably.

Dolan's old shop space in Santa Rosa is now occupied by luthier Bob Groat. His work is interesting as he focuses on basses, but I've only seen one sample years ago. His website is http://www.groatinstruments.com/

Michael Dolan's finishes are now being done by someone called Mark Grant, whose work I don't know, but his site is interesting, if a little meager on the bass side. http://www.mgkustomgarage.com/