NPD: Mooer Pure Boost

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by caeman, Nov 3, 2012.

1. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

New Pedal Day! I traded a Mooer Ana Echo for a Mooer Pure Boost. The Ana Echo was a cool little analog delay, but I found the 300ms max time to be too limiting for my experimentation. So, I traded it to another Mooer collector for their Pure Boost. It arrived safe and sound I finally got to experiment with it today. In summary: I love it.

My interest in the Pure Boost was as a clean boost. I donated away my Behringer BEQ700 Bass EQ in the name of the feeding the hungry at a food kitchen, so I was left without a clean boost pedal. The Pure Boost does a fantastic of boosting cleanly. I put the bass and treble at noon, maxed the volume, then used the gain knob to control the output. I test the pedal with my cheapy Squier Tele and my not-so-cheapy Kala U-Bass. The Tele was plugged in straight to the pedal, then to my mixer board and it was a clean boost from min to max gain. The U-Bass has an HPF-Pre series 2 as a piezo preamp, then to the Pure Boost and it was a clean boost from start to finish.

With my U-Bass, I could see walking into a gig with just this pedal into a DI. The treble EQ on the Pure Boost has no effect on my U-Bass, but the bass EQ knob does. An extra level of bass control on an acoustic bass that has the potential of a lot of thump.

I am not currently gigging anywhere with my tele, but it will be sitting at the end of my FX chain providing that last boost to the mixer: de Lisle Fuzz > Mooer Pitch Box > Mooer Trelicopter > Mooer Pure Boost.
  2. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Heh... I got the Ana Echo because of the experimenting possibilities! Specifically, I used it earlier this week in the studio on a track I was working on. I liked how the decay time was the one big knob, so it was easier to mess with that with my toes while still having my hands free. The result was a bunch of strange guitar lines.

Also, I like that you brought the pure boost up. I don't really have a boost right now. I have been fudging it with a few other methods involving the volume knob or the EQ on active basses, but it's bugging me. Thanks for bringing it up!
  3. caeman

I was unable to discern any bass loss with the Pure Boost. If there is that someone can detect, there is a bass EQ knob to bring it back up.
  4. Adrisss

Adrisss

Did you guys had the chance to try mooer's comp and there pure octave ? I actually have these on my GAS list.

I also found a european seller that has them for a quite low cost.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

HCFX is buzzing about the Pure Octave and i haven't heard anything bad about the comp.
  7. caeman

I have the pitch box and it works well with bass. It worked well with the humbucker in my gretsch.
  8. Adrisss

Adrisss

I may try them soon then. I'm also looking for some dirt in small enclosure, I really like Danko Jones' bass drive, think it's the EBS Valve Drive.

I don't think Mooer has what I'm looking for. So far [sfx] micro red dragon looks like a good choice.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I saw these pedals at www.bassstringsonline.com for a great price and was curious about them.

I use a Barge Concepts for a clean boost now, but I would love to have something smaller and with less controls. I just need a boost.

I've tried a few 'clean boosts' that colored the sound in a bad way, so this one does not?
  10. caeman

It did not color my tele or my U-bass. I am about to run my Gretsch through it.
  11. caeman

Well, that was interesting. My Gretsch G2202 has a TV Jones minihumbucker. For a passive bass, it creates a hot signal. Where as the U-Bass via HPF-Pre didn't have an distortion, I hear a hint of dirt with the gain at minimum (volume max). With the gain at 9:00, there was definitely distortion, especially as I dug in.

With my Gretsch, I could hear a tiny loss of low end, but when I bumped the bass eq knob to 1:00, it came back.
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

With the gain at minimum and the volume at max, how much boost does it give you?
  13. caeman

Noticable. I don't have a specific number, but I thinking it upwards to +6db.
  14. Down_Low

Down_Low

I know it's an old tread, but thought I'd ask anyway. How's it go as a boot that ads a bit of grit on bass?
  15. caeman

I can try some experiments and get back to you on that, DL.
  16. Reace George

Reace George

Could you be so nice as to share this seller with me? I'm also quite interested to buy one (or more...)
  17. Adrisss

Adrisss

It's musicasa.com

You have to read a bit of spanish to make your way through that but for 56,10 euros each of the ones I GASing for, I may well end up buying them this week end !
  18. Down_Low

Down_Low

Thanks mate. Just watched the guitar demo that Prymaxe did, sounds like it does do what I'm hoping it will, so long as it doesn't lose any bottom end on bass when it does it!
  19. caeman

There is a hint low end loss. BUT, if you bump up bass eq knob, it comes back.