1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NPGD: Peter Max

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by abarson, Jan 24, 2014.

1. abarson

abarson

New Pickguard Day - I guess it goes here.
    I picked up a Silvertone LB11 cheap as a backup bass. Odd, as I've pretty much sworn off black basses...

[​IMG]

Yep, so black it sucked the light out of the room. That won't do.

I bought a piece of Lexan and printed a Peter Max painting on an 11"x17" sheet of paper. I smeared the Lexan with a clear drying glue stick and adhered the picture face up so that the Lexan would protect it. After that, I smeared the back of the picture with more glue stick and laid down a sheet of aluminum foil. I used a credit card to smooth it out, getting rid of the air bubbles. The adhesive worked great between paper and foil, but started to lift from the Lexan as I shaped it.

Then, I traced the offending black original, drilled the screw holes and pickup mounting ears, and used a jigsaw for the shape.It took quite a bit of rasping and filing to get it right. I wish I'd taken some pictures of the process, but Behold!

[​IMG]

Now, isn't that better?
  2. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Wow, that's awesome!

I'm an old Peter Max fan. I don't see a lot of his stuff around anymore, so that PG is a real treat. Great job!
  3. Firesalt

Firesalt Pretty fly for a white guy. Supporting Member

Not a fan of the artist but I gotta admit that looks pretty darn snazzy; excellent job!
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Very cool, well done!
  5. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Great Idea!
  6. RSBBass

RSBBass

I like it but then again I like black basses too.
  7. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Abarson,

That looks very cool! Nice job!

I was thinking about crafting something similar on a bass I just about finished up a month ago. I'm wondering how you worked on the edges of the pg? Is it a smooth rounded over or 45%?

Thanks!
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Very cool I have a few Peter Max originals love his work and that guard.
  9. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Agreed! I think Peter Max art fits into our current times in a way more than in say 10 years ago.
  10. abarson

abarson

I didn't treat the edges at all. I grew too I impatient, but I may still do it.
    I have found that the 1/8" Lexan makes a pretty nice thumb rest along top.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Same here. He was really big when I was growing up. Had a few posters of his work.